News Corsair MP600 Pro XT PCIe 4.0 SSD Expands to 8TB Capacity

USAFRet

Titan
This is the problem with SSDs today. It's not speed or endurance, it's the fact that 4TB and 8TB drives have such a gigantic price premium...
The majority of people I know would be hard pressed to fill up a 2TB.

"SSDs today" is exactly the same as it was with "HDDs then..."

What was the very first hard drive you bought, not included in a prebuilt PC?

Mine was a 125MB, for about $140.

Makaveli

Splendid

it doesn't sound like that majority are actually IT people.

80% of the people I know that have IT careers will have no problem filling that drive :)

USAFRet

Titan
it doesn't sound like that majority are actually IT people.

80% of the people I know that have IT careers will have no problem filling that drive :)
And the people in IT careers are a small percentage of the population....:)
All the geeks at work could easily make use if that.

I'm just saying...a 4TB NVMe drive is applicable to a very small percentage of people. Currently.
This will change, along with prices.

Just a few short years ago, a 1TB SATA III SSD was $200.

Makaveli

Splendid
And the people in IT careers are a small percentage of the population....:)
All the geeks at work could easily make use if that.

I'm just saying...a 4TB NVMe drive is applicable to a very small percentage of people. Currently.
This will change, along with prices.

Just a few short years ago, a 1TB SATA III SSD was $200.

True.

i'm at the point now with all the Sony Ported games coming out to PC that my 1TBx2 Raid 0 Sata setup is only at 500GB free space now which won't last long with a few more games. So i'm going to have to add more SSD's to my rig just for game storage. I won't add a 2nd m2 drive until Direct X storage is out and they have released firmware optimized drives.

USAFRet

Titan
True.

i'm at the point now with all the Sony Ported games coming out to PC that my 1TBx2 Raid 0 Sata setup is only at 500GB free space now which won't last long with a few more games. So i'm going to have to add more SSD's to my rig just for game storage. I won't add a 2nd m2 drive until Direct X storage is out and they have released firmware optimized drives.
My current main system has 6x 1TB SSD.
No RAID 0 involved or wanted.

Windows and applications have gotten so much better over the last few years, that combining 2 or more drives into a RAID 0 simply for the 'size' doesn't make a lot of sense.

And, apart from benchmark numbers and tiny edge cases, the theoretical speed benefit of a RAID 0 is totally lost on SSD.

Makaveli

Splendid
My current main system has 6x 1TB SSD.
No RAID 0 involved or wanted.

Windows and applications have gotten so much better over the last few years, that combining 2 or more drives into a RAID 0 simply for the 'size' doesn't make a lot of sense.

And, apart from benchmark numbers and tiny edge cases, the theoretical speed benefit of a RAID 0 is totally lost on SSD.

The reason i went RAID 0 on that is I wanted a single storage pool for the games. And since its only games on there not concerned with a RAID failure and no issues since the raid was created in dec 2019.

The sequential access increase is nice but not really noticed in my usage of it. Other than the time I copy large files to that storage.

Windows and all my apps are on the PCIe 4 SSD in the system. When I did this build I decided no HDD were ever going to be in it so I have a NAS on the network with those for mass storage.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

You answered yourself, people who bu these aren't "majority of people" It would be heavy users, powerful users, gamers.
Not to mention that games continue to expand in data weight by a lot every year.

Sep 11, 2022

okay grandpa