[SOLVED] Corsair old VX550 vs new CX550

Jul 9, 2020
Hello,
I'm using a Corsair CX550 PSU with my new desktop (R5 3600 - GTX1660 TI - MSI X570 Gaming Plus - 16gb DDR4 3000mhz(xmp) - m2 xpg ssd 240gb - 3 1tb HDD) for about 6 months now, but I stumbled on the info that this PSU is not that good and might fail or even damage my hardware.
My old desktop used a Corsair VX500. It's an old pc but it was very high specs when I assembled it and the PSU is still working perfectly.
Should I replace my new CX550 PSU using the 5+ years of use VX550? If both had the same mileage I know VX would be the best choice, but in this case I'm not sure.
I could replace the VX fan but I don't know how other PSU components deal with this aging...
Thanks for the help!

Solution
you're better off with the CX either way. but to tell if you have the new model is the label has green writing on it rather than the grey it used to be.

if you got the green label CX550, then you're good to go as is. whatever you read in either case is just not true.

<Mod Edit: Removed insults>

First off, the gray label is newer than the green label.

Second, there was no green label 550W. They were 500W and 600W.

http://jongerow.com/CX/index.html

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
when did you get the CX50?

the older models were pretty average but the newer version is much better. the VX unit is pretty much bottom of the line so i'd use it for target practice or some other experiment that removes it from the world.

you're better off with the CX either way. but to tell if you have the new model is the label has green grey writing on it rather than the grey green it used to be.

if you got the green grey label CX550, then you're good to go as is. whatever you read in either case is just not true. the older units got a bad rap due to a lot of false info being spread around. true they were not top of the line but they are better than many psu's people still buy!!

edit: fixed my incorrect info

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020
when did you get the CX50?

the older models were pretty average but the newer version is much better. the VX unit is pretty much bottom of the line so i'd use it for target practice or some other experiment that removes it from the world.

you're better off with the CX either way. but to tell if you have the new model is the label has green writing on it rather than the grey it used to be.

if you got the green label CX550, then you're good to go as is. whatever you read in either case is just not true. the older units got a bad rap due to a lot of false info being spread around. true they were not top of the line but they are better than many psu's people still buy!!
I got the CX550 around 1 year ago and it has the grey label...

Next time try it without the insults

if you got the green label CX550, then you're good to go as is. whatever you read in either case is just not true.

<Mod Edit: Removed insults>

First off, the gray label is newer than the green label.

Second, there was no green label 550W. They were 500W and 600W.

http://jongerow.com/CX/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
did i get it backwards again?? my bad.

thanks for correcting that. i did forget the older models were 500w and 600w though. won't make that mistake again!!

i edited my post to reflect the right info. but do note that i did not saying anything bad about either CX model. i still have a green label CX500 in one of my pc's and have never worried about it. i know this was a touchy subject for you johnny but i was one of the few that always tried to debunk the nonsense being spread about those older CX units whenever i saw it here. :)