[SOLVED] Corsair One Upgradability, need your advise

Mar 28, 2019
Dear good people,

I need a help and advise from good people here.

I have been back and forth between weather I should be getting Corsair One or build from scratch with Phanteks Shift.

I started even thinking (hoping) fabricate a case my own taking an advantages from both Corsair One and Phanteks Shift case. All this ideas come from upgradability.

My question really is can I swap the motherboard to ASRock X299 mini itx for a CPU of i9-7980XE or i9-9980XE into Corsair One? I understand warranty will be gone and sound like wasting money but I really love Corsair One (hope they sale just a case)

My plan was to get the lowest price of Corsair One i140 and keep everything but

1. Swap motherboard to ASRock x299 Mini ITX Motherboard
  2. Swap CPU to Intel i9-7980XE or i9-9980XE
  3. Swap PSU to higher wattage accordingly something that can fit in the case
  4. Swap top fan to higher RPM and CFM (like 2000-3000 RPM?)

Again, Sound like wasting money but any thought you have about my plan?!!!
I'm not looking into OC but temperature is going to be crazy at stock with that CPU????

Seems can't find anywhere on website doing/talking about this swap (is it because it's not even possible?)

I'm very new to custom PC world so I need experts opinions.
Thank you in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

Solution
I actually think this is doable. I would definitely not advise it, but you seem to have money to blow, so why not? I've been looking into this for you, so far can't find anything that would stop you from doing what you're thinking of doing.

The X299 Mini should fit. It supports the i9-9980XE too. The PSU used in Corsair Ones is a Corsair SF600 model, there's a SF750 model available. Maybe replace the top fan with a Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 or 3000 RPM?

The only thing I see which could be a problem is connector locations on your motherboard. The Mini-ITX Z370 they use has the 8-pin CPU header on the top left, the X299 Mini has that connector on the top right. Maybe cables could be too short to reach where they're supposed to...
I actually think this is doable. I would definitely not advise it, but you seem to have money to blow, so why not? I've been looking into this for you, so far can't find anything that would stop you from doing what you're thinking of doing.

The X299 Mini should fit. It supports the i9-9980XE too. The PSU used in Corsair Ones is a Corsair SF600 model, there's a SF750 model available. Maybe replace the top fan with a Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 or 3000 RPM?

The only thing I see which could be a problem is connector locations on your motherboard. The Mini-ITX Z370 they use has the 8-pin CPU header on the top left, the X299 Mini has that connector on the top right. Maybe cables could be too short to reach where they're supposed to. And yes, I'm expecting thermals to be a living hell. :)

Solution
Mar 28, 2019

The only thing I see which could be a problem is connector locations on your motherboard. The Mini-ITX Z370 they use has the 8-pin CPU header on the top left, the X299 Mini has that connector on the top right. Maybe cables could be too short to reach where they're supposed to. And yes, I'm expecting thermals to be a living hell. :)

Thank you for quick reply taeioum,
I just realized that Corsair One i180 comes with ASRock X299 with the CPU of i9-9920X
Stupid me didn't even double check that.....

But was wondering why corsair didn't make options to have i9-9980EX. Like you said thermals to be going crazy is that why?!

I'm not rich but have been saving money for awhile, and just realized that custom build with using Phanteks Shift would be similar cost to pro i180 price or even little more......
And plus, I'm getting i9-7980XE(second hand) from my friend he doesn't need it anymore so at least I can save the CPU price from my total budget:)

May I ask you one more question since you responded to my crazy plan? haha
What is your opinion about i9-9920X?!

I'm Architectural Designer and programs I use are below

・AutoCAD
・Revit
・3dsMax
・Sketchup
・V-Ray for rendering
・Adobe Photoshop
・Adobe Illustrator
・Adobe InDesign
・Adobe Premiere

Thank you again,

Never heard of the i9-9920X before, to be honest. I don't follow the X and XE processor line, so I had no clue haha. But they don't make Corsair One versions with an i9-9980XE cause the processor costs as the whole system itself without the CPU. The computer itself is made for gamers. The 9980XE isn't exactly a gamers CPU.. I'm not sure if the 7980XE is X299 compatible but if it is, you could always give that a go..?