ash256

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2010
So guys...I need to buy memory for my pc....So which is better Corsair or G.Skill.,And how much ram should i buy for gaming at high-ultra setting at 1920x1080?

mace200200

Honorable
I agree to go with the cheapest, RAM is more simple than other PC components because it's flash memory and there's not much to it. I usually go for G Skill because they have good warranty's but I also have some A DATA sticks in my computer right now that I got for real cheap.

Most games are only allowed less than 2 GBs, so get at least 4 gigs, or more if you like to run lot's of things in the background, 8 is what most people will use.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008

I disagree, I prefer Corsair or Crucial. More expensive RAM is of higher quality and less likely to develop issues down the road. Also, RAM is not Flash memory. Flash is strictly non-volatile, while the RAM in your computer is volatile. You can get cheaper RAM and likely be fine, but it may or may not die early on you. That can also happen with more expensive RAM, but it is less likely. I do have a friend who has been using GSkill for a while and not had any issues, so they will probably also be fine.

Corsair.

First, it's all about the performance and 2nd all about performance per dollar. I avoid "off brands" for reliability, tech support and customer service issues. Most of my builds include either Mushkin or Corsair. I used to use more GSkill "back in the day" but ...

1) I have had more RMA's w/ GSkill (5) than all others combined
2) I never seem to have luck marrying two Gskill's w/ 2 other modules of the same spec by another brand whereas Corsair, Crucial, Kingston and Mushkin all seem to play nice together.
3) have had more than one unpleasant experience with GSkill's customer support.

There's a lot of misinformation out there about RAM.

1. Faster RAM has no impact on gaming performance ........

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/12

22.3 % (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ CAS6 instead of CAS8 in Far Cry 2
18% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ CAS6 instead of CAS8 in Dawn of War
15% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rates w/ CAS6 instead of CAS8 in World in Conflict

Also see http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/memory/2011/01/11/the-best-memory-for-sandy-bridge/1

which shows only 1 fps .... but that's a 5% increase. Is it worth it to pay 20% more (say $60 versus $50) for faster RAM to get a 5% performance increase ? If ya look at it that way no...... but if ya consider that your $2,000 system in its entirety got 5% faster ..... then that's a 0.5% increase in system cost for a 5.0% increase in speed, then the answer would be yes.

It depends on the LINE of any RAM. Every manufacturer has their good stuff, over priced stuff, and bad stuff. The 'newer' lines of G.SKILL are not impressing me at all, Profit vs Quality -- lately cheap IC's.

Further, I assume the OP is building/buying a new rig. For anything since LGA 1156 2x4GB DDR3-1600 CAS 8 or 9 @ 1.50v, if LGA 1366 ditto but 3x4GB kit and if LGA 2011 ditto but 4x4GB.

Q - What CPU?
Q - What MOBO?

flashpop

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I Vote Mushkin. I have used it for literally years. Without one single failure. I've called customer support and they are fantastic. AND Mushkin is nicely priced. Lower than any I think are of the same quality. Good Luck!