Corsair Outs Hydro Series H100i GTX, H80i GT Coolers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like!!
Its about time for an update. They look good, ya know I was just thinking they could further differentiate by offering custom shrouds and matching fan colors. Something I would do!

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
As a Corsair H80i owner for years I can honestly say Corsair needs to rethink this.

1. The new coolers only have 2 fan connections as opposed to 4 on previous models.

2. Users still have detection issues with Windows 8.X with the Hydro coolers inside Corsair Link with the latest version software 2.7. (see their forums)

3.There are no updates to the radiator. They are still aluminum. They could have made the to tier "H110i" a copper radiator.

4. After watching a few videos and release photos, it appears that the H110i GT is made by Cool IT and the H80i GT and H100i GTX are made by Asetek. I expect this to not go so well when customers find out they are not all the same manufacturer. You can always guess who made the AIO based on the CPU back plate as Cool IT is always a better quality metal back plate as opposed to Asetek plastic version which sometimes strips when screwing in the standoffs.

5. The new coolers can no longer connect to each other via the Corsair Link cable. This means the cooler will need its own internal USB header. Newer motherboards only come with 2 internal USB headers so if you have a Corsair HXi or AXi power supply in the same system as one of these new coolers you will have to choose between connecting the front IO USB ports, your power supply or the cooler.

Honestly im still waiting for them to release a CPU GPU AIO combo cooler that cools both the CPU and GPU with a 280 radiator in a single loop similar to the Asetek 760GC. Ill happily pay $199 for that

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I've used a lot of H80s/H80is, H100i and H110. The main thing that bugs about
them is the fans are too loud. By default I replace them with NDS PWM 120s
which work just as well but produce massively less noise (as I type I have an
H80i running a 3930K at 4.8 and it's incredibly quiet compared to the stock
Corsair fan setup).

I liked the look and usage of the Link sw, but in practice I could not get it
work properly. Trouble is, any sw app that makes use of mbd sensors
will conflict with any mbd vendor related app such as AI Suite II; one cannot
reliably use both at the same time, eg. in my case trying to use AI Suite to
control case fans, Link sw to control the CPU cooler. In the end I found it
far more effective to just use AI Suite to control everything, so I removed
the Link sw.

As for the new models, do they offer any usefully better cooling performance
than the old models? Is it worth the cost? How to they compare to modern
good air coolers?

I really like the Corsair water coolers, bought another two refurb H80s
yesterday from Scan for 42 each, but the loud fans & Link sensor issue
is a bit of a pain, though I much prefer using an H80 with 2 better fans
than any of the huge air coolers (and I have several of the latter variety).

Ian.

f-14

Distinguished
i'm with mapesdhs on this. i replaced the stock corsair fans with various fans with better airflow or better airflow and less noise such as aerocools shark 120's and cooler master sickleflow 120s in addition tho while running push pull set ups i put on a Lamptron 120mm Steel Mesh Fan Filter to keep the dust off that i can just vacuum off.

if any AIO liquid cooler wanted to make a big improvement a hinged or slide out removable screen fan filter on the incoming air side would be the ticket.

"Honestly im still waiting for them to release a CPU GPU AIO combo cooler that cools both the CPU and GPU with a 280 radiator in a single loop similar to the Asetek 760GC. Ill happily pay $199 for that "

It already exists and its sold by Swiftech. And it does have a copper radiator so not only better performance, but also no galvanic corrosion driven by the use of dissimilar metals in the cooling system. Not only does it outperform every CLC made (even 360mm units), ... topping the H100i by 7C .... but it does it being > 20 dbA quieter (that's less than 1/8th as loud. Being able to open the loop and add MoBo Blocks, RAM Blocks, GFX card blocks makes it the proverbial "no brainer"

http://www.swiftech.com/H240-X.aspx

There is simply no 120/140mm CLC that can compete thermally or acoustically with a decent air cooler. The 240/280mm can top the good air coolers by a bit but the best air coolers like the Cryorig / DH-15 still rule the roost

b2.jpg

http://www.hitechlegion.com/reviews/cooling/liquid/42047-swiftech-h240-x-open-loop-280mm-cpu-cooler-review?showall=&start=3

As for fan swapping..... I have tested this effort extensively using various fans. I was surprised to observe that I lost 2.4 C swapping the Phanteks SP140s (1200 rpm) for the Noctuas AF-15's (1500 rpm). Other fans that I tried showed less temp difference, but for the most part (granted I used fans generally considered among the bast on the market) there were very small differences when rpm was close.

When rpm changed, the effect on cooling was pretty much close to proportional to the rpm change .... a result shown repeatedly in rad testing on the martinsliquidlab.org site. I got pretty darn close to 2/3 the cooling taking a fan from 1800 rpm to 1200 rpm.

If you replace the 100i's 2700 rpm fans w/ 1800 rpm fans then while abetter quality fan may eat up a small portion of the difference, you can expect pretty close to 2/3 the cooling. I suspect that the aluminum radiator is also a limiting factor here as I expect you'd get better performance out of those 2700 rpm fans at the higher rpms with a cooper rad. The impact of the rads ability to transfer heat I would think would be noticeably higher at high rpms than lower rpms.

I used 4 thermal sensors in the loop, one on the inlet and one on the outlet of each of the two rads (420 + 280) in the system (4770k @ 46 multilie / 46 cache multiplier) and twin 780's w/ 26% GPU and 22 % memory OCs) and two air temperature sensors one for ambient and one for internal case temperature to conduct the tests

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Honestly, this is not the same thing as I only see one water block and it not exactly a AIO if you can open it and expand it. This is what im looking for just with a 280 radiator.

T2eC16ZHJF0E9nmFSuLcBQUQvOvWTQ60_35.jpg

2 fixed waterblocks, sealed and make the hoses long enough for users to use it in SLI/Corssfire if they choose to. Imagine having a SLI/Crossfire with a dual block AIO maintenance free. Or a CPU and a single GPU. And this sold MRSP for $69.99 so buying a H240X for $149.95 then having to buy another waterblock, tubing, drain the loop, refilling, bleeding, looking for leaks, wasting time getting bubbles out the loop brings the price close to $300 on parts alone and the hours/days of work to get this done is priceless.

These companies are not innovating, they are stalling as long as they could on the same tired old technology and stifling innovation to bleed customers of money as long as they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS