[SOLVED] Corsair PSU issue

elewis521

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014
I just installed a corsair RM850x into a new build. I ran my hand across the back of the psu and i felt a tingling sensation run through my hand and arm. I am using this PC in my shop and unfortunately the power outlet I am using is not grounded. I assume the unit is using me as a ground since I was touching it. Or should I just RMA it?

Solution
I just installed a corsair RM850x into a new build. I ran my hand across the back of the psu and i felt a tingling sensation run through my hand and arm. I am using this PC in my shop and unfortunately the power outlet I am using is not grounded. I assume the unit is using me as a ground since I was touching it. Or should I just RMA it?
You should be running it with a grounded outlet.
It was designed to be used with a grounded outlet.
If there is no way you can get to a grounded outlet....run a wire from the case to a ground.
If there is no way you can get to a grounded outlet....run a wire from the case to a ground.

Reactions: King_V
Solution

elewis521

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014
Unfortunately my shop is in my basement and the wiring is rather old. I guess the only solution in this case is to run new electrical wire and properly ground it.

Unfortunately my shop is in my basement and the wiring is rather old. I guess the only solution in this case is to run new electrical wire and properly ground it.
If you are in the basement....the ground isn't far away.
I would imagine you should be able to find a good ground there (water pipe for example).
A wire from the case to a ground will do the trick.

If AFTER you have a good case ground....you still get the tingling....then consider the RMA....however....I tend to think this tingling will go away with a proper ground.

elewis521

Honorable
Oct 3, 2014
If you are in the basement....the ground isn't far away.
I would imagine you should be able to find a good ground there (water pipe for example).
A wire from the case to a ground will do the trick.

If AFTER you have a good case ground....you still get the tingling....then consider the RMA....however....I tend to think this tingling will go away with a proper ground.
The conduit that the electrical wire runs through is metal. Would running a wire from the case to the conduit suffice? I'll give the case ground a try and report back.

The conduit that the electrical wire runs through is metal. Would running a wire from the case to the conduit suffice? I'll give the case ground a try and report back.
Whatever metal you connect to has to have good electrical contact with the ground.
Metal conduit in general SHOULD ALWAYS be grounded....so IF IT IS....that will work.
If someone didn't ground it....then it won't work.
There are ways to test for a good ground. I'm sure it can be googled.

Unless you can get a medical grade PSU with a leakage current of 300uA.

Figure out how to ground your outlet.