Question Corsair RAM compatibility

Apr 8, 2019
Hello

I recently changed cases to the 500d se rgb and I've been looking into changing my RAM.

Initially for aesthetic purposes only I'd looked at changing what i have now, corsair vengeance rgb 3000mhz c15 for the vengeance rgb pro equivalent (suits the system look much more)

But now after a bit of reading it seems upgrading a bit at the same time might work well for a bit of overclocking on my setup of a Ryzen 7 1800x and asus crosshair hero xi mobo to the vengeance pro rgb 3200mhz c14 which also has samsung b-die as opposed to my current RAM not having it part number CMW16GX4M2C3200C14

The QVL list for my mobo doesnt list that number but Ive been led to believe mobo manufacturers don't always keep those lists up to date with every new release.

Can anyone cofirm they'll be ok together?

Is there anything special to know when switching out RAM or is it plug and go?

Are there any tests I should run upon install to ensure there are no compatibility issues?

Bare in mind im a relative amateur and the info I've gathered is solely from forum searching.

Appreciate any responses!

shemsureshot

Distinguished
May 26, 2013
I can answer some of this. I’ve never checked ram compatibly with a motherboard, although I’m aware this is a thing. So long as you get the correct type, for example DDR4 you are off to a good start. RAM is generally plug in and go but it may not automatically run at the advertised speed. Some ram requires you to turn XMP profiles on in the motherboards bios, others don’t have XMP so you need to manually pick the correct speed. I hope that helps.

Memory that has never been tested together, such as multiple kits, have no guarantee to be compatible together. You are free to do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

AM4 Ryzen have a steep reduction in maximum supported memory clock speed when using more than two memory slots.

Mixing together multiple kits of memory usually results in memory no longer being able to operate at rated specifications.

You asked, "Are there any tests I should run upon install to ensure there are no compatibility issues?"

See if system boots up. XMP profiles are for memory in the form sold, Use of multiple kits have no specifications as to what they will run at.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019
Memory that has never been tested together, such as multiple kits, have no guarantee to be compatible together. You are free to do your own compatibility testing with no guarantees.

AM4 Ryzen have a steep reduction in maximum supported memory clock speed when using more than two memory slots.

Mixing together multiple kits of memory usually results in memory no longer being able to operate at rated specifications.

You asked, "Are there any tests I should run upon install to ensure there are no compatibility issues?"

See if system boots up. XMP profiles are for memory in the form sold, Use of multiple kits have no specifications as to what they will run at.

No sorry for confusion I'm looking to change the RAM i have now not add to it.

Like i said previously I was originally looking only for aesthetics (the vengeance rgb pro lighting) with a straight swap specs wise but now I'm thinking it might be a good upgrade for overclocking potential.

I currently have 16gb corsair vengeance rgb 3000mhz cl15

Im looking at 16gb corsair vengeance rgb pro 3200mhz cl14 (samsung b-die)

I was mainly asking about the QVL as the new ram part number isnt on my mobos list and to see if anyone had any experience with a similar setup and overclocking it through the XMP