Question Corsair RAM recommendation

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
I was hoping to get some help on some RGB RAM by corsair. I recently upgraded my mobo and cpu to Ryzen 5 5600x with asus rog b550-f gaming combo, i currently have Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB DDR4 3000mhz (CMK8GX4M1D3000C16) which works fine despite not being on the QVL list. So the plan is for my older parts is that ive been keeping them and putting in another case to build my wife a little computer. She has my old mobo MSI Z270 Gaming Plus with 7600k. We were going to buy her RAM for her setup but then thought as she doesnt want anything special she could have my RAM as it is going to basically be in the end my old system pretty much after donating and upgrading in the coming months. So my thinking was as i have RGB Keyboard, Mouse, RGB fans, led strips and mobo (maybe cooler if it needs upgrading awaiting another post reply) was to get RGB RAM and upgrade but after some reading seems like 3600mhz is good spot to get for 5600x? Could anyone help point out which RBG RAM by corsair would be good for my build and make use of my iCue software and does RBG impact performance in any way?

Lutfij

Titan
Yes DDR4-3600MHz is a good starting point for your platform in the higher tier ram kits. You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to dropping the new ram kit in. So long as it's DDR4-3600MHz with tight timings, you're good. FYI, tighter timing ram kits cost a pretty penny due to better binning of their IC's.

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
Yes DDR4-3600MHz is a good starting point for your platform in the higher tier ram kits. You should make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard prior to dropping the new ram kit in. So long as it's DDR4-3600MHz with tight timings, you're good. FYI, tighter timing ram kits cost a pretty penny due to better binning of their IC's.

Yep im on the latest BIOS as we speak. What is meant by tight timings and able to give example?

TobinUK

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2014
My current RAM being CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 as a reference here using corsair website for the info, only QVL listed RAM thats in price range for me are CMW16GX4M2C3600C18 and also CMW16GX4M2Z3600C18. Which of these if any would be an upgrade if you compared it with my current RAM but only 16GB instead of 32 which is in system now?