Corsair Releases 256 GB SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatwad53186

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2009
It would be a very nice upgrade for almost any laptop, except for the fact that it costs about 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of many laptops out there lol

krazyderek

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
hasn't this drive been out for several weeks, or even months? I've seen it on various sites in stock and shipping since before the new samsung drive it's self was announced on tom's.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]meatwad53186[/nom]It would be a very nice upgrade for almost any laptop, except for the fact that it costs about 1/2 to 3/4 the cost of many laptops out there lol[/citation]
Or even whole laptops, or two netbooks.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i hope everyone above me realizes that the x25-m 80gb was about $700 last year october, and not even a year later is half-price.

The suckers that are buying this are bringing the price down for the rest of us. This will be down to a great price in a year, I'm sure of it. SSD FTW

phantomferrari

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
"SSDs using JMicron controllers for example, should be avoided. Telltale signs of a JMicron drives are their prices--you get what you pay for. Judging that a 160 GB Intel X25-M costs twice as much as Corsair's 256 GB drive, one should approach with caution." Are you implying that intel ssds are better than corsair's (aka samsung's) because they cost more? didnt you just review the samsung drive and give it a lot of praise? i would rewrite that so you dont sound like an idiot

flinxsl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
i do not believe 1 million hours. i am an EE working for a semiconductor company. no chips in silicon last that long, even mil spec. you are looking at 10 years (87.6k hours) or 20 years for very robust processes (2 micron or bigger)

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
What kind of noob would buy an SSD in today's polarized SSD market with some SSDs being exceptional while others being utter crap without knowing exactly what kind of controller these Corsair SSDs use and if these SSDs can get a firmware update without having to RMA them.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]stlunatic[/nom]SSD is the future... Pity it comes at such a high premium[/citation]

True, its to the point I try not to even bother reading anything SSD related, at least for another year(why am I here?). That and they're telling me to be cautious on spending $670 on a drive that may not be up to snuff? Funny how a change in price would be considered more exciting news over the technology itself.

G

All it does is reading @200MB/s and delay the write. That's why the 128MB of ram.
Do some intensive small block R&W, unplug the power and you could lose upto 128MB of data. It's definitely no industrial standard therefor should not deserve an industrial pricetag!
$400 is more than enough for this drive!

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Thanks to inherent SSD technologies, users can expect both speed, durability, and efficiency. SSD users can receive roughly 25 percent more battery life when using the P256
With no moving parts, the drive will not only have a quicker response time (doesn't access a moving disk)
Is it just me, or does that sound really condescending?

rockerrb

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
[citation][nom]stlunatic[/nom]SSD is the future... Pity it comes at such a high premium[/citation]

Don't worry. It will get cheaper, faster, and higher capacity. Just got to be patient and wait awhile.

Ryan
Denver

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
rockerrb, SLC is faster than MLC.

I haven't heard anyone address the expectation that next revision of SATA will be in production before year-end. 'SATA revision 3' is 6 Gbit/s, whereas SATA-II is 3 Gbit/s (250 MB/s net read speed). With the ONFI drivers, you can saturate the bandwidth and be throttled back due to the SATA-II limitations -- and i'm not talking about in the future, I'm talking about RAID0ing some fast SSDs that are available today.

rkaye

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
so for now, raid0ing four identical sata-ii (7200rpm or faster) drives should get you a very good price/performance ratio... Until the sata 6gb/s drives come out, or ssd slc/mlc prices drop.

my prophesy is that a nice fast 160gb slc ssd will eventually even out at a consumer price-point of US$200

Status
Not open for further replies.