Corsair Reveals Its First SFX PSU, The SF600

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
Interesting to see that the modular connections are the same as the full-sized power supplies. It should make getting extra/custom cables cheaper and easier.

SFX power supplies are used in mini-ITX systems. Anything drawing 600 watts in such a tiny case would be fearsome to try to keep from melting. That's about the power draw and size as an average two-slice toaster...

David Dewis

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Not true at all. The reviews to the RVZ01 have been amazing beating out even the CoolerMaster Elite 130 in GPU temps.I for one am really excited for the release of the Silverstone RVZ02. Silverstone are confident enough to remove all the case fans. Good quality airflow design is important at any size. Also worth noting the recent LinusTechTips video where he built inside a silverstone SG-13 ITX case with an 18 Core xeon and TitanX and benchmarks showed great temps and performance.
Linus's Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjDJNwAANwA

Well.... Have you met the RVZ01 case yet? I hear temps are always cool. :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/PPd6Mp

Although Im not using near the 600w limit of my psu for now, i am still planning to add more hardware to this system when the funds are available and as of right now, everything is staying nice an cool. :)

I saw their review and first of all, that's neat! There were a few reasons they were able to do this though:

1. Their power consumption at the wall was 383 watts. An 80 Plus Gold PSU like the SF600 has a midrange power efficiency of 50%. The components themselves would only be consuming 345 watts. That's still a lot of power to dissipate but only a little over half of 600 watts. You would expect the at the wall power draw to be 690 watts if an 80 Plus Gold unit were supplying a full 600 watts to the parts, as the spec mandates 87% efficiency at full load.

2. They noted that the CPU and GPU were not both being hit very hard at the same time during their testing. They mentioned that the graphics tests didn't stress the CPU much and the GPU idles while running a CPU-intensive application like Cinebench.

3. They also used very specific parts that made it easier to dissipate heat. The CPU used a Corsair self-contained liquid cooler which dissipates its heat right at the case's exhaust rather than dissipating it inside the case. The Titan X is also an external blower card.

So, that was a very neat (and very expensive!) little build but it's nowhere near 600 watts.

Silverstone does make very nice mini-ITX cases though. I have one of the Sugo SG-05s and it's extremely well cooled. I have one of the little AMD Athlon AM1 SoCs, a dual-port GbE NIC, a WLAN NIC, and an SSD in mine to make a homebrew router and it's great. However, mine draws maybe 40 watts at absolute full load and only a few watts at idle so it's a long ways from an E5 Xeon and a Titan X.

Status
Not open for further replies.