Corsair Reveals Magnetic Levitation Fans And Enters Graphics Card Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
As for the company making their own GPU's I believe it is MSI that provides the PCB and Corsair uses one of their Asetek licensed closed loop coolers (with a custom mount and Corsair fan) to provide a custom cooling solution.

If it is priced roughly the same as custom cards (or not significantly more) it should be a nice addition to the wide array of non-reference cooled GTX1080's.

stoned_ritual

Reputable
Dec 23, 2014
Corsair. Please stop pretending that you're the creators of the technology that you sell to people. You simply place stickers on other people's products. Those stickers must be very expensive.
Magnetic bearings have been in use since the late 1970's.

Further, at 37db, sound levels are abysmal. Good static pressure though, except that I've rarely seen a Corsair fan deliver the same static pressure in testing reviews that they report having on paper specs.

5 year warranty is nice. Think I'll stick with Noctua fans and some black vinyl dye for my money though.

Yes, I know what they make. The industrial fans are more expensive and have higher maximum SPL levels than the NF-A14's though. I don't need a 4mm H20 static pressure rated fan for case cooling. Those industrial fans might be great for use as a heatsink fan or on radiators, but they are absolutely unnecessary for a case fan of any pressure differential.

InvalidError

Titan

If you have no pressure differential, you have no air movement and if you have very weak pressure, minor obstruction such as dust on air filters will stop the airflow.

If im following what has been done here they took the old school MagLev and mated it with Fluid Dynamic Bearings. The two together I don't believe have been done before. As far as I know this is a slight evolution of the old MagLev bearing. Would have to see some tests but It should make a nice exhaust fan especially if you have a positive pressure case.

Nuckles_56

Admirable
I really don't know why you'd be worried by the MTBF of these, most fans have this so long that they would have been through 2 computers minimum to get close to the rated life

You misunderstand. My meaning was, regardless of whether you have a negative pressure or positive pressure configuration, 4mm H20 is not a necessity or even a moderate need for an intake or any other case fan. 3mm H20 is not a necessity, even for a relatively high positive pressure configuration. Certainly won't HURT anything, having more static pressure capability, but it's absolutely not essential. Most case fans, even very good ones, have less than 2mm H20 and I personally can't see a reason to pay more for a very high static pressure fan unless I'm going to be using it on a heatsink or radiator.

Or unless I'm terribly paranoid about dust in my case and have no filtration. Then I might.

So I guess I should have worded that, " but they are absolutely unnecessary for use as a case fan, regardless of what kind of pressure configuration you are using on your case." :)

Since when did exhaust fans need high static pressure? There is no resistance, or very little, to airflow OUT of the case, where the pressure is likely to be lower than it is IN the case. A fan with a very high CFM but even a mediocre static pressure rating would be much preferable for an exhaust fan.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the fan OEM Corsair is cooperating with is Sunon, tbh. Sunon's Mag Lev motor Vapo bearing fans have been around for years (and penetrated deeply into the dc fan/blower market), they've OEM'd their fans to many corporations with very recognizable names, including Samsung, Dell, HP, among others.

Whether or not Sunon is indeed the OEM Corsair is working with to introduce a new line of premium case fans (if not Sunon, then whom?), hopefully it'll be a decent product line, and hopefully the article is wrong re the $30 pricetag. I doubt I'm the only one tired of seeing over-priced premium fans, whether by Noctua or whomever.

Well, I'm sure I'm going to catch hell from the Corsair supporters here, and probably from our unofficial Corsair stewart, but I don't find that Noctua fans are overpriced considering they spend usually years developing and refining new models before they feel they are ready for release. Corsair, Cooler Master, Thermaltake and others tend to simply slap their own labels or add small changes onto models that have been developed by other manufacturers who generally sell the same model without the name or fluff, for considerably less, and hike the price along with a spiel about how it's new, has six legs and can run the mile in ten seconds.

Their products are "ok". Not great, not terrible. You can usually get something better for the same price or in some cases for less. But I do believe in letting the product speak for itself so I'm interested in seeing what shakes out when and if somebody does a thorough review of these units. I believe that if they run the same track as past releases though that the actual results will be somewhat limp as compared to their paper specs. If they do end up being thirty dollar fans, they better be really damn good because there are several other brands on the market with exceptional fans in the 25 to 30 dollar range.

alextheblue

Distinguished

If you have no pressure differential, you have no air movement and if you have very weak pressure, minor obstruction such as dust on air filters will stop the airflow.
Functional case fans don't have zero pressure, obviously. They have "enough" pressure, and focus on CFM vs noise within that range of "enough". So having looked at their industrial line (black) I agree that their regular funny colored fan lineup has better specs. Color be damned. I use a noctua high-pressure fan for my heatsink, and multiple standard-pressure noctuas for case fans. The lower pressure fans have better noise/cfm ratios.

possessed-alpaca-o.gif

G0nz0

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
hopefully they dont have an issue with spin up and spin down like alot of those fans do. once the power is gone its just metal on metal. i do love the rpm range though. all the way down to 400 rpm is amazing. even with voltage control most wont spin at that low of an rpm.

G0nz0

Commendable
Apr 7, 2016
Further, at 37db, sound levels are abysmal. Good static pressure though, except that I've rarely seen a Corsair fan deliver the same static pressure in testing reviews that they report having on paper specs.

5 year warranty is nice. Think I'll stick with Noctua fans and some black vinyl dye for my money though.

i like my noctua fans aswell but man ive had lots of failures with them. not as many as ive had with corsair fans but they spray the entirety of my pc with oil when the bearings let loose on the noctua's.

drewafx

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
Don't they have the heatsink rotating cooler for CPU?
no fan but you spin the heatsink...
I'd love a airtight refrigerator case...no need to clean or vacuum

A lot of them will "spin" at that RPM, what most of them won't do is "start" spinning at that RPM. Using something like the NZXT Grid+ v2 solves that though, as it gives full power at startup of any given fan profile to get it going and then lowers itself down to the profiles assigned speed. My NF-A14s wouldn't run at a 20% signal as they couldn't get started, but with the controller to ramp them up first, they work fine at that speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.