Corsair Reveals Vengeance LPX, Dominator Platinum DDR4 Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014
Since Getting a 2400 MHz Ram give you an improvement of something like 5 %. Is DDR4 Really that important ? i Mean it could be a deal breaker for AMD APUs but for computer with GDDR5 GPU, I don't see why it should be better right now.

Dustin Mock

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2014
Since Getting a 2400 MHz Ram give you an improvement of something like 5 %. Is DDR4 Really that important ? i Mean it could be a deal breaker for AMD APUs but for computer with GDDR5 GPU, I don't see why it should be better right now.

I'm pretty sure the only real bonus at the moment for DDR4 over DDR3 is the lower voltage making it much better for laptop and mobile devices and in the future allowing for much higher clock speeds on the Desktop variety. In theory you should be able to overclock it a lot higher since you won't hit the heat ceiling nearly as fast on the lower voltage as well, but you will have to ask someone more knowledgeable than I to verify that.

hannibal

Distinguished
Yes the power-usage is the dominating factor. Also in the longer run DDR4 can give more speed than can be achieved with DDR3. At this moment DDR3 is still better in most cases, but soon it will lose its crown.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
They would probably be magnificent for an APU. As we all know memory bandwidth is huge for graphics, and its double the transfer rate of DDR3. I still would not think about DDR4 until there are 3200mhz dims. You will lose out on latency unless the frequency is high enough.

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

No. a hertz is a cycle per second while a T is a transfer per second. so 2666 MHz means 2666 X 10^6 cycle per second. So as much transfer as cycle.

DDR is double data rate SDRAM. Data is transferred on the raising and falling edge of the clock cycle. DDR3-1600 for instance has a clock rate of 800 MHz. DDR4 is the same, the transfer rate is twice the clock frequency. The numbers they are quoting are the transfer rate (MT/s), not the clock frequency (MHz).

Status
Not open for further replies.