Corsair RGB PRO 3000mhz Questions

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
I am running an i7 8700k processor. Not OVERCLOCKING at all.

I have a Corsair Ram RGB PRO 3000MHZ https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-vengeance-rgb-pro-16gb-2pk-8gb-3ghz-pc4-24000-ddr4-dimm-unbuffered-non-ecc-desktop-memory-kit-with-rgb-lighting-black/6256222.p?skuId=6256222

CMW16GX4M2C3000C15

My processor supports 2666mhz

Makes me wonder if I should get 2666mhz 16gb instead to match the speed?

I looked at System Information and it shows 3.7ghz,3696MHz does this mean I accidentally overclocked the damn thing?

I read another thread where someone says having higher ram would require the processor be overclocked? I got ticked off. Impossible since my ASUS ROG STRIX z390 Gaming E supports those ram speeds. Does this mean I have to overclock it? I have it set at XMP 1 setting in bios?

Have I made a mistake here? Do I need to order 16gb 2666mhz? Does this mean I must have the matching speed to my processor? Like I said I do NOT want to overclock.

Please don't mislead people on forums when it comes to building PC parts. Everyone deserves the same good build. This isn't a competition.

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
Can someone send me straighten this issue out for me? Since the processor is rated at 2666mhz do I really need to get 16gb 2666mhz followed by using the QVL memory list they recommend? I want the R GB pro but it mentions I should use LPX instead.

Hi sk8ernut.dw :)

RAM profiles such as XMP use a standard defined by JDEC and limited to 2133MHz, 2400MHz and 2666MHz. Any frequency above the JDEC standard are considered OC RAM and XMP profiles do not work.
What this means is that you will have to manually enter SPD information regarding Primary Timings and DRAM voltage. This information can be got within your Bios or from CPUz in Windows.

Disable XMP profile and manually tune your RAM.

Although your RAM kit are not listed on the MB QVL (therefore have not been tested), they should work with a little DRAM tweaking. (A good excersize to learn your BIOS).

I7-8700K processors scale well and 3000MHz rated RAM will work. There is very little difference performance wise between 2666MHz and 3000MHz so if you have no success with the above then return what you have for a kit at 2666MHz that are listed on the MB QVL.

Keep your system at stock CPU frequency until your RAM is Overclocked and stable when stress tested under load.

I sincerely hope I'm not misleading you!!

sk8ernut.dw

Prominent
Dec 8, 2018
okay that good advice but I got a question. I know nothing about voltage tuning. I hope I do not need to adjust voltages? Can I just set the ram speed and that's it? Can you give me a step by step info how to fix this?

Whoa, you know nothing about using voltage when Overclocking. STOP right there. Voltage settings are about the most important aspect of Overclocking so you should read up how to use your Bios to Overclock both CPU and RAM.

There is no step by step fix when Overclocking. Each system is different and there is a wealth of information both here and at Overclock.net for you to research regarding your setup.

Your obviously interested in Overclocking from your system specs however, you will need to know the relationship between SAFE Voltages and frequency and the heat generated when applying those voltages in order to maintain a stable system.

As long as you do not over-volt beyond official specs then no damage will be done. The system may not boot however and you may have to clear CMOS and start again.
Please take your time to fully understand Overclocking and gain the confidence to gain the MAX performance your system is capable of.
As your CPU officially supports 2666Mhz and also the MB ( If you do not wish to play around in Bios) then get a kit that have been tested and known to work as listed on the QVL.