Corsair Rm1000x in Dell t3500 case

timothybrey

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017
I have just bought a new msi gtx 1070 gaming z, but my psu doesn’t have the correct cables to power it. I’m am planning to buy the Corsair Rm1000x 1000 watt psu, but I don’t know that it will fit in my case. I have the t5500 psu now, it is ATX, but i still want to be sure that the rm100x will still fit. Can anyone help me? I tried looking up the dimensions and measuring it myself, but I couldn’t find anything online and measuring it wasn’t preside enough. Can someone help? Thanks

Solution
just to help you understand a little more let me break it down for you.

My system as an example:
I have a ASUS Strix 1070 overclocked as far as it'll go that also has RGB on it so it uses up some good watts
an i7-6700k overclocked to 4.7Ghz at 1.4v (which is quite the power hog mind you)
a Kraken X62 AiO cooler which has a pump that uses watts and 2x140mm fans that also use watts and RGB lights that also use watts
a 140mm case fan with LED lighting that uses watts too
a 1.5tb HDD and a 250GB SSD which are also using watts
an ASUS Gaming Pro Aura motherboard that has RGB lighting around it's edges that also use watts and of course RAM which uses watts as well.

With this whole setup I am using less than 600w. Not sure the exact amount...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
don't buy a 1000w PSU. it's a waste of money and completely unnecessary for the 1070. I have a corsair 600w PSU and it's still more than enough for the 1070 even when manually overclocked as far as it'll go and I also have a 6700k overclocked to 4.7Ghz at 1.4v and I am not even maxing out the PSU. Everything works fine for me on 600w so this is the PSU I would recommend for your 1070 to save you some money and get you all the nice extra features

Get this one if you are the kind of person to do mail in rebates.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151186

Get it from this site if you are not and you don't live in NY or NJ
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1349721-REG/seasonic_electronics_ssr_650fx_focus_plus_650w_80.html

get this one if you want to save more money and are fine with having 80+ bronze (which is totally fine BTW)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151095

timothybrey

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017

I am planning on using sli in the future and upgrading different parts so I will need the 1000 watt psu. I also have many fans because of overheating and I looked it up on a power supply calculator and 1000 watt is right for what I am planning to do. My problem now is knowing if it will fit in this case. It is an ATX case and it has some extra room Incase the depth is bigger so it should be good, I just want to make sure that this psu will fit in the case before I buy it. Thanks

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Even with SLI and a ton of case fans you won't need more than an 850w PSU.

To answer your question though, take some measurements of the space that the PSU will be fitting into and cross reference those measurements with these ones:

Width: 5.9 in

Depth: 7.1 in

Height: 3.4 in

I would check this for you but I can't get any info on measurements for this case online.

Or better yet, just measure the PSU that is in the system right now and see what matches up. if the Corsair is higher and wider then it may not fit depending on how much bigger it is. depth means nothing if you've got the room for it.

timothybrey

Commendable
Dec 21, 2017

Ok thank you I’ve always been paranoid so I try to keep the chance of it failing at minimum and I will measure those thank you for your help.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
just to help you understand a little more let me break it down for you.

My system as an example:
I have a ASUS Strix 1070 overclocked as far as it'll go that also has RGB on it so it uses up some good watts
an i7-6700k overclocked to 4.7Ghz at 1.4v (which is quite the power hog mind you)
a Kraken X62 AiO cooler which has a pump that uses watts and 2x140mm fans that also use watts and RGB lights that also use watts
a 140mm case fan with LED lighting that uses watts too
a 1.5tb HDD and a 250GB SSD which are also using watts
an ASUS Gaming Pro Aura motherboard that has RGB lighting around it's edges that also use watts and of course RAM which uses watts as well.

With this whole setup I am using less than 600w. Not sure the exact amount but I'm pretty I would say I'm at most using a total of around maybe 500w max for everything.

But for this example let's say that I threw in some more case fans and some extra LED or RGB LED lighting for the case and I'm using 600w even.

With the addition of another 1070 I would only be adding up to at least 180w with GPU boost doing it's thing. But let's say I manually overclock and push it a bit further. I would be using about 200 -210 watts most likely on this card and an 850w psu would leave me with 30w to spare. but I'm not actually using 600w on everything else and am about 500w at most and more likely I believe I am using around 450w of power out of my 600w PSU. with an 850w PSU after adding another 200w to my initial system for the second GPU I would be essentially using up about 650 -700w out of that 850w leaving me about 150 - 200w of overhead which is perfect and safe for the system. If you are someone who really likes to nickle and dime their electricity consumption in their home and absolutely requires being able to maximize the power efficiency to minimize their power consumption on their power bill to the penny then go with the 1000w PSU. Otherwise it's just not necessary and will cost you more to buy it. For dual 1080ti's however you might want to go with the 1000 just to be safe.

In fact, as far as I'm aware, since the 10 series cards are power limited I can even put a 1080ti in my system and my 600w will do just fine. So you still don't really need more than 850w bronze unless you are going for power efficiency to the max at which point like I already said you can go with a 1000w gold or platinum PSU.

In case you have decided to go with the 850w option here is my recommendation.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1349723-REG/seasonic_electronics_ssr_850fx_focus_plus_850w_80.html

Solution