[SOLVED] Corsair RM550x question

Sep 7, 2021
I recently bought a Corsair RM550x to replace one that was past its best. It is to go on an old motherboard msi h61m-p31 (g3) and I notice the board has a jpwr2 (AtX 4-Pin ) slot as well as the AtX 24-pin one and the power supply does not come with a similar looking cable. Did I buy the wrong psu or can i still get this to work on this board please? I believe the 4 pin is for the front panel power but could be wrong? I don't want to try and guess here!

Solution
The four-pin is for the CPU. You use four of the 4+4 connector, which the PSU absolutely does have. There wasn't an expectation of overclocking on a budget motherboard in those days and none of the Sandy Bridge CPUs were particularly aggressive turbo clockers, so lots of those budget motherboards only went with four pins for the CPU rather than the more common (but not universal) eight pins or eight pins with an optional four pin supplement.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The four-pin is for the CPU. You use four of the 4+4 connector, which the PSU absolutely does have. There wasn't an expectation of overclocking on a budget motherboard in those days and none of the Sandy Bridge CPUs were particularly aggressive turbo clockers, so lots of those budget motherboards only went with four pins for the CPU rather than the more common (but not universal) eight pins or eight pins with an optional four pin supplement.

Reactions: Torac23
Solution