[SOLVED] Corsair RM650 16 or 18 AWG

ajinkys

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Hi
Psu - Corsair rm650
GPU gigabyte 1660super

I want to get customer sleeved cables.
  1. What awg cables comes with the box in rm650?
  2. 16or 18awg is recommended ?

Solution
Hi
Psu - Corsair rm650
GPU gigabyte 1660super

All connectors are 18AWG gauge, the standard for PSUs. If you considerably lengthen and cables 16 gauge is not a bad idea to keep from increasing resistance from a longer cable if the length change is significant from the original.

In short, resistance of a wire is directly proportional to the length of the wire and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the wire (the gauge). So you offset the increased length with a greater diameter (gauge). I have extension cords for high current tools that are 10 gauge to account for the higher current...

RealBeast

Titan
Hi
Psu - Corsair rm650
GPU gigabyte 1660super

All connectors are 18AWG gauge, the standard for PSUs. If you considerably lengthen and cables 16 gauge is not a bad idea to keep from increasing resistance from a longer cable if the length change is significant from the original.

In short, resistance of a wire is directly proportional to the length of the wire and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the wire (the gauge). So you offset the increased length with a greater diameter (gauge). I have extension cords for high current tools that are 10 gauge to account for the higher current. Another example is to take a look at a cable for a high power motor or heating element -- they are quite large.

Solution
All connectors are 18AWG gauge, the standard for PSUs.

INCORRECT!

There is no "standard for PSUs" when it comes to wire gauge. Some PSUs are better than others.

Hi
Psu - Corsair rm650
GPU gigabyte 1660super

The PCIe cables that come with the RM650 are 16g!!!

If you do a one to one PCIe cable, you can get away with 18g. But if you do a pig-tail, like the Corsair uses for PCIe, you really should use 16g.

And, as @RealBeast pointed out, 18g for extensions is down right dumb. :D