xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012
Hi. I recently finished my new build. The build involves an Asus z490 motherboard which has slight rgb. It also involves an Asus gpu which also has rgb.
When I shut down my pc, I notice that the lights of components don't turn off and the rgb remains slightly on.
It is in this situation that I hear a faint buzz sound from my psu.
It is only when I completely turn off the system by pressing the on-off button, that the psu doesn't make anymore noise.
Is the psu faulty or is this what I think it is that the psu is lightly powering the tiny lights and therefore, it is still "alive"!!??

Thank you.

Solution
Yup what johnnyguru said. But if your hearing a buzzing sound that is unacceptable. If I were in your shoes I would defintely RMA that PSU as I believe you have 3 years or 5 years warranty on your PSU model. The only noise a PSU should make is if the fan is spinning and clean slight fan noise. This buzzing worries me and don't forget the PSU power up everything, it is not dead obviously but I personally would be weary of continuing to use it as you never know what might happen.TLDR 🙈

That PSU seems like it wants to die unless Im out of line saying that. I just must warn you thats all Im here for. Any PSU should not make any noise except a slight fan noise if its spinning. When you turn it off with the power button as johnnyguru...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Yup what johnnyguru said. But if your hearing a buzzing sound that is unacceptable. If I were in your shoes I would defintely RMA that PSU as I believe you have 3 years or 5 years warranty on your PSU model. The only noise a PSU should make is if the fan is spinning and clean slight fan noise. This buzzing worries me and don't forget the PSU power up everything, it is not dead obviously but I personally would be weary of continuing to use it as you never know what might happen.TLDR 🙈

That PSU seems like it wants to die unless Im out of line saying that. I just must warn you thats all Im here for. Any PSU should not make any noise except a slight fan noise if its spinning. When you turn it off with the power button as johnnyguru said it still gives power and your motherboard light is on and possibly some RGB lights on the mobo will remain and sometimes not just depends on motherboard and what not. I don't want that PSU to damage your components and cause a bigger headache. IMHO if I were in your shoes I would not use that PSU anymore as caution. Im not saying its junk, its a great Corsair mid tier PSU however Corsair PSU's do not make buzzing sounds when you shut down the computer so be cautious I say it again. You can always go to the BIOS or through Aida64 or another app check the voltages and see if the 12v rail is getting proper ampage and giving you 12v and 5v gives you 5v and 3.3v gives you 3.3 volt. If these numbers are off that is a sign that the PSU is going to die. However when it dies is impossible to say; It can die tomorrow or work for 5 years and then some. However once again this buzzing noise is unacceptable and I am a Corsair guru and their PSU's any tier should not make this buzzing noise. So the ball is in your court you can take a chance and still use that PSU or do a simple RMA and in meantime go to a local store and buy a temporary PSU however Corsair turn around time is really good you can send it and recieve a brand new one with a week or week and a half. Good Luck whatever you decide either to keep using it or RMA it.🤷‍♀️💯✝👶

Solution

xerxesaria

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2012

That PSU seems like it wants to die unless Im out of line saying that. I just must warn you thats all Im here for. Any PSU should not make any noise except a slight fan noise if its spinning. When you turn it off with the power button as johnnyguru said it still gives power and your motherboard light is on and possibly some RGB lights on the mobo will remain and sometimes not just depends on motherboard and what not. I don't want that PSU to damage your components and cause a bigger headache. IMHO if I were in your shoes I would not use that PSU anymore as caution. Im not saying its junk, its a great Corsair mid tier PSU however Corsair PSU's do not make buzzing sounds when you shut down the computer so be cautious I say it again. You can always go to the BIOS or through Aida64 or another app check the voltages and see if the 12v rail is getting proper ampage and giving you 12v and 5v gives you 5v and 3.3v gives you 3.3 volt. If these numbers are off that is a sign that the PSU is going to die. However when it dies is impossible to say; It can die tomorrow or work for 5 years and then some. However once again this buzzing noise is unacceptable and I am a Corsair guru and their PSU's any tier should not make this buzzing noise. So the ball is in your court you can take a chance and still use that PSU or do a simple RMA and in meantime go to a local store and buy a temporary PSU however Corsair turn around time is really good you can send it and recieve a brand new one with a week or week and a half. Good Luck whatever you decide either to keep using it or RMA it.🤷‍♀️💯✝👶
Thank you. I figuered that it may stay on, but it is the noise which I am concerned about. I have contacted the reseller and they have, for now, agreed to exchange it....
I appreciate that you explained it to me so clearly.