Question Corsair RM650x enough for anything beyond RTX 2080?

mjbn1977

Distinguished
I always had a feeling that I kinda know enough about video cards and PSU's, but recently I questions myself in regard to my PSU decision.

In my current build I am using a RM650x. It serves me well and I had not problems, but I think I kinda run it on the limit with a overclocked delidded 8700k (@5Ghz on all cores) and until last week the RTX 2080 (MSI Duke). My computer is used mostly for gaming and game development.

So, somebody offered me an incredible amount for my 2080 Duke because he was looking to match his for a six-monitor MS Flight simulator build (SLI or NVlink, I don't know). So I just sold it for 80% of what I paid two years ago. Which will make me upgrade to the RTX3080 as soon they come out, hopefully by mid September. Rocking my old GTX970 in the meantime.....oh boy.

After carefully analyzing all rumors and available leaks and information I really think that the RTX 2080 will have a TDP of about 325 Watt cards. That leads me to my question.....

...will my RM650x be enought to handle that? I am not worried about that rumored 12pin power adapter. I don't think that the 3rd party board partners will implement that on, especially not on the RTX 3080, maybe on the 3090. But my old 2080 used to peak with a power draw of about 245 Watt.

what you think? can my gaming rig handle a 325 watt card? which is almost 100 watt more than my old one?