[SOLVED] Corsair RM650x PSU thermal considerations

Perplexer

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
I am planning to buy the Corsair RM650x power supply unit for my computer and I am wondwering if it will work out.

As I understand, this PSU will only spin the fan when required / under a cetrain load, but I am not sure if this also means that it will spin when it gets hot enough. Since the PC case I will be installing it into has the old-style PSU mounting at the top of the case, there will be warm air rising from the CPU into the PSU innards. Will the RM650x know to turn the fan on when the temperature gets too warm, even if the load is realatively low?

Solution
Yes the RMX 650 will know when to turn the fan on when it gets warmer. It's one of the function of the PSU.

It's a tier A PSU so you won't have any issues if this PSU is enough for your system of course.
I am planning to buy the Corsair RM650x power supply unit for my computer and I am wondwering if it will work out.

As I understand, this PSU will only spin the fan when required / under a cetrain load, but I am not sure if this also means that it will spin when it gets hot enough. Since the PC case I will be installing it into has the old-style PSU mounting at the top of the case, there will be warm air rising from the CPU into the PSU innards. Will the RM650x know to turn the fan on when the temperature gets too warm, even if the load is realatively low?

The fan controller uses an algorithm that controls RPM based on temperatures or load.