[SOLVED] Corsair RM750i or RM750?

Jan 7, 2021
RM750i has been categorized as a premium model of Corsair, it has more features, but... it's a circa 2015 model and the connectors could have some lacks in terms of modern hardware (only one EPS connector and 4x PCIe).

RM750 is a lower tier in theory, but it's seems to be equally good (80 Plus Gold as well), and it's a modern power supply from 2019 with more interesting connectors (2x EPS and 6x PCIe).

Ignoring the price difference, which one should I buy it?

RM750i
1x EPS12V Connector
2x Floppy Connector
4x PCIe Connector
8x SATA Connector
7x PATA Connector

RM750
2x EPS12V Connector
0x Floppy Connector
6x PCIe Connector
10x SATA Connector
4x PATA Connector

Solution
RM750i has been categorized as a premium model of Corsair, it has more features, but... it's a circa 2015 model and the connectors could have some lacks in terms of modern hardware (only one EPS connector and 4x PCIe).

RM750 is a lower tier in theory, but it's seems to be equally good (80 Plus Gold as well), and it's a modern power supply from 2019 with more interesting connectors (2x EPS and 6x PCIe).

RM750i
1x EPS12V Connector
2x Floppy Connector
4x PCIe Connector
8x SATA Connector
7x PATA Connector

RM750
2x EPS12V Connector
0x Floppy Connector
6x PCIe Connector
10x SATA...

RM750i
1x EPS12V Connector
2x Floppy Connector
4x PCIe Connector
8x SATA Connector
7x PATA Connector

RM750
2x EPS12V Connector
0x Floppy Connector
6x PCIe Connector
10x SATA Connector
4x PATA Connector

Price kind of matters. If they were the same price or pretty much you'd always get the better option. Question is do you NEED the extra connectors? I doubt you're gonna be using a floppy drive or have more than 8 SATA connection in your PC, you're probably not gonna be using any PATA connections. Most motherboards that aren't completely overkill only use 1x EPS connector and the most power hungry of GPUs only use 2x PCIE power cables and multi-GPU is pointless outside of some niche cases.

My next question is do you need 750W? Most parts now can run fine on 650 or even 550W. The PSU's are cheaper and PSU's are more efficient running at 50-80% load. Also look at other brands such as EVGA and Seasonic.

Reactions: Robototoro
Solution
Jan 7, 2021
Price kind of matters. If they were the same price or pretty much you'd always get the better option. Question is do you NEED the extra connectors? I doubt you're gonna be using a floppy drive or have more than 8 SATA connection in your PC, you're probably not gonna be using any PATA connections. Most motherboards that aren't completely overkill only use 1x EPS connector and the most power hungry of GPUs only use 2x PCIE power cables and multi-GPU is pointless outside of some niche cases.

My next question is do you need 750W? Most parts now can run fine on 650 or even 550W. The PSU's are cheaper and PSU's are more efficient running at 50-80% load. Also look at other brands such as EVGA and Seasonic.

Yes, you are right. After some further investigation I found that the amount of connectors in RM750i should be far enough for almost any condition.
Even I think the lack of 2 EPS can be solved buying an extra EPS cable and using one of the PCIe & CPU connectors, leaving the power supply with only 2x PCIe left.
But, as you said, only high-end overkilling motherboards needs two EPS connectors, so I shouldn't be worried about this.

The 750W is just a future proof decision for any theoretical incoming power hungry GPUs in the future.
Also, I have a huge discount for the RM750i and smaller one for the RM750 leaving the price similar between the two version but cheaper than the 650W versions.

Yes, you are right. After some further investigation I found that the amount of connectors in RM750i should be far enough for almost any condition.
Even I think the lack of 2 EPS can be solved buying an extra EPS cable and using one of the PCIe & CPU connectors, leaving the power supply with only 2x PCIe left.
But, as you said, only high-end overkilling motherboards needs two EPS connectors, so I shouldn't be worried about this.

The 750W is just a future proof decision for any theoretical incoming power hungry GPUs in the future.
Also, I have a huge discount for the RM750i and smaller one for the RM750 leaving the price similar between the two version but cheaper than the 650W versions.
If the price is similar like within 10-20% I’d get the i model

Reactions: Robototoro