Corsair RM750x PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Corsair released its RMx PSU line, which the company claims will offer good performance along with silent operation. Unlike the RMi models, the RMx units lack a digital interface, a fan test button, and uses a Rifle bearing fan instead of an FDB version.

Corsair RM750x PSU Review : Read more

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
I've been promoting these for a while, it's nice to see Tom's do an article on them. The only reason these are Gold rated is because they just miss the Platinum rating at 20%.

They have a 650x as well that's a little cheaper.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
Please keep in mind that some Corsair PSUs are also made by Seasonic. Also this series is very new to have a high rate of failures. Unless you have some solid facts to share on the older RM line which is out for quite some time now.

Wrong on so many levels.

YOU do not have the failure rate for this or any other Corsair PSU.

This PSU is the RMx, not the RM, so even if you did have a failure rate, it would only be about two weeks of data.

If you were talking about the RM and not the RMx, and you actually had failure rate data, you would see that the failure rate on the RM wasn't really high at all.

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
Tomshardware:

I don't know if this is a problem of your site, or my PC/IP, but frequently the charts do not load, even when the page "ends" loading.

vJexJp5.jpg

Sometimes, if I "reload", then the charts also load.

I open all the article pages simultaneously, on different tabs, so I don't need to wait for each one to load.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
The older RM units weren't 'bad' really, they were ok, but Corsair has been stepping up its game with quality parts and build on some of these newer units which is nice to see. You can never have too many solidly designed units to choose from - competition toughens the breed.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
High Rate Faliure can be the the name of this series of corsair. for Now EVGA or SEASONIC power supplies. don't spend a penny on corsair products...

Did you even LOOK at the article? The only problem with these are the Sinopowers on the secondary side, and that's not even a "bad" thing. Oh and btw, some of the best power supplies in the world are Superflower OEMs produced by Corsair.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
With these in depth coverage of PSU's I propose introducing a tier'ing table thing at the and of each review (or perhaps a best buy PSU of the month) equivalent to what's done for CPU's and GPU's, ranking PSU models (perhaps too the makers). I saw a comment here on toms on another PSU news flash in the comment section referring to such thing in the forum but now I can't find it.
Permanent'ing such thing from the editorial side would be great!

D

Deleted member 217926

High Rate Faliure can be the the name of this series of corsair. for Now EVGA or SEASONIC power supplies. don't spend a penny on corsair products...

Did you even LOOK at the article? The only problem with these are the Sinopowers on the secondary side, and that's not even a "bad" thing. Oh and btw, some of the best power supplies in the world are Superflower OEMs produced by Corsair.

Corsair doesn't use SuperFlower anywhere in its lineup. CWT, Great Wall, Flextronics, Seasonic and Chicony which has since been dropped are all the OEMs Corsair uses or has used.

Tier lists and OEM brand are by no means an indicator of quality. Just because a certain OEM is used is no guarantee of quality. Just like Corsair sells Great, Good, moderate and crappy PSU's, most OEMs also produce a wide range of quality.

Tier lists will include an entire product line in a category based upon a single model review. The Corsair HX 750/850 were great, the 1000 / 1050 were dogs but all were placed in the same tier. Below we see that CWT made their lowest tier as well as some of the best products Corsair ever sold.

CS was made by Great Wall
CX and GS by CWT
VS by CWT
RM 450-650 were made by CWT,
RM 750 and 850 by Chcony
RM 750v2 -850v2 and 1000 were made by CWT
RMi / RMx series are made by CWT
HX 650 was made by Seasonic
HX 750, 850 and 1050 were made by CWT (2/3 were excellent)
HXi series was made by CWT
AX series was made by Seasonic
AXi was made by Flextronics

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Wrong. The AXi is a SuperFlower Leadex OEM. Which is sometimes produced by Corsair, Seasonic, and EVGA.

D

Deleted member 217926

They were?!?!?! Says who???

The guy who gave it a 8.5 performance * and 7.0 Build Quality rating :)
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=245

The 850 got a 10 in performance but back then no BQ ratings
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=153

* 1000 wasn't that bad with a 9.0 performance rating. I used it 3 times as I recall, had problems with 2..... one would hiccup under SLI loads, a user build had fan noise issues.

Right. And if you read the fine print:

"More loose heatsink screws to deal with. But at least there were only two of them in there this time that could be considered a potential problem. Two points off for that. It'll probably never be a problem for 99% of these sold, but I'm an electronics tech. I get to be picky with stuff like that."

This doesn't make a product "a dog".

AFAIK, it really wasn't a problem for 99% of the folks out there and since it was pointed out in the reviews, CWT started using nylon washers or thread lock on all screws.

tacgnol06

Honorable
Oct 18, 2015
RM750i is currently slightly cheaper than this model on Newegg, which leads me to wonder why they'd release this version to begin with, unless they're phasing it out to replace it with something cheaper to make for around the same retail price... oh.

I did read the fine print, but I am speaking "in context" ... As you said ... 2 points off... that only brings it to a 9. In the general context of things, I normally would call a 9.0 build quality rating a dog.... perfectly acceptable, perfectly suitable for an office or budget restricted gaming box.

But when one is looking at, and prepared to pay for what the HX series bought to the table for a presumed moderate to higher end build for overclocking or gaming, the mindset is "top end".

I expect a 10.0 here. When you are paying 10.0 quality a prices, a 9.0 BQ / Perf. rating is gonna get a "dog" label, at least in my eyes. If I wanted 9.0's, I'd look at cheaper model lines. As a TX, and without the careless assembly, the moniker would not have been used.

Status
Not open for further replies.