Review Corsair RM850x (2021) Power Supply Review

Jul 9, 2021
Hi Aris.. like your reviews..

small question. I noticed the Bulk/hold up caps get higher with wattage. can you explain how this impacts a general PSU?

for example/off topic, I have a 5 year old 550w G2 and it has a 400v 470uf cap. Just purchased a 550w g3 and the cap is lower capacity @ 400v 390uf.

Does this mean anything or am I overthinking it? is the 550w g2 better than "base" spec? I understand leakage can occur over time, I'm just not sure if its a downgrade or upgrade in specific areas.

thank you.

Last edited:

jayjr1105

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Hi Aris.. like your reviews..

small question. I noticed the Bulk/hold up caps get higher with wattage. can you explain how this impacts a general PSU?

for example/off topic, I have a 5 year old 550w G2 and it has a 400v 470uf cap. Just purchased a 550w g3 and the cap is lower capacity @ 400v 390uf.

Does this mean anything or am I overthinking it? is the 550w g2 better than "base" spec? I understand leakage can occur over time, I'm just not sure if its a downgrade or upgrade in specific areas.

thank you.
As long as they are meeting the ATX spec of 17ms hold up time, it doesn't really matter. The G2 was probably overkill so they cut costs by going with a lower capacity one.

Nov 19, 2021
Beautifully presented. I was not so lucky with the unit I got, which stopped working after a month. Sent back to eBuyer guys and received it again not fixed (generally they requested ALL cables where I wanted only brick swap - this is totally unacceptable for me when the wires are in place tied to enclosure!) Raised ticket with Corsair with no answer in 2 days. Fixed on my own with one hour of cleaning the PCB from thick layer of soldering flux on the bottom side of PCB which caused leakage currents all over the board. Now it works. Horrendous experience and I don't recommend none of these businesses.