Question Corsair RM850x vs RM850i vs HX850

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, so i need a new psu, cant run from the fact, so in between these models, wich would be preferable? they are all for the same price in my city.

for starters, all i know is that the 850i has monitoring using corsair icue or link software, wich i have because i pretty much own every corsair peripheral, and the 850x doesn't, while this sound an obvious win for the 850i, i wonder if theres anything else different between these 2 cuz the 850x is white and the 850i is black... lol.

also, theres the hx850, wich goes for the same price as the others, as i said, but being platinum certified, while the others are gold. Honestly i have no idea what these mean, im a psu noob, but logic dictates that platinum>gold, but in real terms, is it really a thing or just cool nomeclatures? cause so, if it doesnt mean much or at all, i think the 850i with the monitoring thing would be better?

doubts, doubts, doubts...

What are you full system specs? 850W is overkill for virtually any system that doesn't use multiple graphics cards.

HX850 appears to the best from a technical perspective. I'd go with that unless you really want the link software stuff.

right now the stuff in my sig, but my TX 650 is an oldy as bastard, so its certainly lost some efficiency and im already preparing for a msi 2070super + their default overclocks and whatever overclock i may do myself using afterburner.

while 650w is the recommended, since my psu is bronze rate and is sorta cavernously old, i think its just.... enough, and i dont feel like running any risks whats-o-ever.

also, 750w would do, sure, but the price difference is so small... basically the same price as the 850w ones, ive no idea why so close but oh well, and if i go 850 i'll just be future proof, or so i think, cuz corsair gives 10year warranty sooooo....

thats my logic behind the 850w decision, so i guess i could consider that a +1 for hx850 huh?

Corsair why u do dis?

addendum, i just found out an HX750i, which is the platinum rated + icue bling blings, soo.... considering the 10 year warranty, plus the same price of the regular rm750x... wich is slightly lower than the 850w...

geez the pricing is crazy...

for starters, all i know is that the 850i has monitoring using corsair icue or link software, wich i have because i pretty much own every corsair peripheral, and the 850x doesn't, while this sound an obvious win for the 850i, i wonder if theres anything else different between these 2 cuz the 850x is white and the 850i is black... lol.

The 850i has a FSB fan. The 850x has a rifle bearing fan.

also, theres the hx850, wich goes for the same price as the others, as i said, but being platinum certified, while the others are gold. Honestly i have no idea what these mean, im a psu noob, but logic dictates that platinum>gold, but in real terms, is it really a thing or just cool nomeclatures? cause so, if it doesnt mean much or at all, i think the 850i with the monitoring thing would be better?

Those are just efficiency ratings. That just means that Platinum is more efficient than Gold. HX and RM are actually based on the same platform, but some simple, but more costly, modifications are done like thicker, but less copper windings on chokes, or higher current FETs or diodes, or doubling the number of them. All in an effort to reduce losses as power travels from one side of the PSU to the other.

right now the stuff in my sig, but my TX 650 is an oldy as bastard, so its certainly lost some efficiency

Efficiency is power lost (or lack of) when coverting AC to DC. A failing or older PSU doesn't lose efficiency. It can result in much worse.

while 650w is the recommended, since my psu is bronze rate and is sorta cavernously old, i think its just.... enough, and i dont feel like running any risks whats-o-ever.

You're not "running risks" by not getting a more than oversized PSU if you stick with good quality PSUs. Some PSUs you have to buy a 1000W just to get the same thing a quality 550W offers. Many times, wattage is just the output from a random number generator.

Quality PSUs are meant to run at their advertised wattage and be able to do so continuously and for 24/7 operation, even at higher temperatures.

That said, you don't always want to run your PSU on the precipice of overloading and shutting down whenever you run a game with all settings cranked up.

So 650W is enough... and 750W is overkill. But in a lot of cases, 650W isn't available because it doesn't cost any less money for the manufacturer to make a good PSU in a 650W then it does to make it a 750W. (i.e. change out two parts and maybe save $2 to make a 750W into a 650W, so why bother?)

also, 750w would do, sure, but the price difference is so small... basically the same price as the 850w ones, ive no idea why so close but oh well, and if i go 850 i'll just be future proof, or so i think, cuz corsair gives 10year warranty sooooo....

That's really odd. But so is the RMx being the same price as RMi and HXi. Are these all at the same store? Because at the same store, 100W should be +$10. RMi should be the same as HX and HXi should be another $10.

Corsair why u do dis?

addendum, i just found out an HX750i, which is the platinum rated + icue bling blings, soo.... considering the 10 year warranty, plus the same price of the regular rm750x... wich is slightly lower than the 850w...

geez the pricing is crazy...

Where are you seeing this fucked up pricing? LOL!

Please send links.

Yes.... If they ALL cost the exact same, then buy the better one. LOL!

Where are you seeing this fucked up pricing? LOL!

Please send links.

Yes.... If they ALL cost the exact same, then buy the better one. LOL!

haha, in what would be the brazillian ebay, its quite messed up, the ranges are 890 to 940 bucks with shipping and cc taxes, some of em' are listed for like 740, but some with shipping and others with the CC in about 8 payments end up being the very same price, so yea...

anyways, aside from the hx850i, thats about 1.150 bucks wich is a no no, either the rm850x or hx850i are literally the same price (btw, rifle bearing? )

and the hx750i is also the same price of the rm850x or hx850i, wich obviously means i get -100w but icue and platinum

but, are you telling i just dont need a new psu? my 6 or7 years old tx 650 bronze rated just good for it despite overclocks and bling blings?

EDIT:

idk if you can see this mess, but the hx1000i is cheaper than the hx850i:

https://informatica.mercadolivre.co.../hx1000i_OrderId_PRICE_ITEM*CONDITION_2230284

vs

https://informatica.mercadolivre.co...r/hx850i_OrderId_PRICE_ITEM*CONDITION_2230284

Wow. Interesting. So it's just the lowest price from whatever vendor has it in stock. Some vendors may have more inventory of one over the other while another vendor may have older inventory than another.

Well.... HX850i it is.

And no, I didn't say you don't need a new PSU. PSUs only last so long. What I was saying is you don't need more wattage.

Wow. Interesting. So it's just the lowest price from whatever vendor has it in stock. Some vendors may have more inventory of one over the other while another vendor may have older inventory than another.

Well.... HX850i it is.

And no, I didn't say you don't need a new PSU. PSUs only last so long. What I was saying is you don't need more wattage.

uh, actually the 850i (because you know, if i'd go for that then why not the 1000i already? cuz its cheaper haha) is out of question lol, its actually between the rm850x (with the rifle... bearing... thing?) or the hx850 with no monitoring but with platinum

or, the lesser but jack of all trades hx750i with platinum and monitoring

They're all so close in price. HX1000i because it's stupid cheap for an HX1000i, or the HX750i because it's all you need and a pretty good value (compared to the RMx and RMi).

Was considering going for the HX750i now for 2 reasons, first its cause 875,00 bucks, slightly less than the 850 ones, about 40 bucks overal, but settles the 'i' or platinum dilemma.

now, the HX1000i, that i found around randomly is 1.022 bucks (lols ate the 1.150 of the hx850i), so talk about a 150 bucks difference, but, im quite sure I wouldnt be replacing graphics card for a good 5 years, and frankly, if they keep cranking up the W so much, at some point, owning any decent rig will require a personal powerplant right next to your house, I mean, i wouldnt get a graphics card that literally has a TDP much past 250w, and i dont plan to move from 1080p, or at very very max 1440p cause a 27" monitor makes me a bit, uncomfy with the need for peripheric vision so much, im settled for 24.

thoughts thoughts thoughts... while the HX1000 gives me all the headroom, it wont last the eternity of course, i cant stop to feel that i'd replace the 750 or the 1000 at the same time for the same reason: old, which also feels that's what im doing now with my 650, cause if it was brand new, ofc there would be no doubt a 2070 super would have 0 problems, but, ofc, old doesnt mean just old in age and worn, but more technologically outdated, after all its bronze rated, and im if im not wrong, theres the W's lost cause of it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I wouldnt be replacing graphics card for a good 5 years, and frankly, if they keep cranking up the W so much, at some point, owning any decent rig will require a personal powerplant right next to your house, I mean, i wouldnt get a graphics card that literally has a TDP much past 250w,
PC component power draw doesn't generally increase over time. Max power draw for top tier GPUs has been around 250W for some time now, maybe 300W for a couple AMD cards. I can't imagine ever needing anywhere close to a 1000W PSU for any single-GPU build.

Well, went with the HX750i, got the platinum bling blings, more than enough for my 2070S and certainly more than enough for what is to come next, provided it isnt the RTX MEGA TITAN HERCULES XV TRUMP EDITION SLI, but then again, i dont own a powerplant.

and was abou 150 bucks cheaper soo... thought i might just update this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.