Question Corsair Settings for a MSI B450 Tomahawk Board

Mar 12, 2019
Hey folks,

I think I am having issues with my memory. I have:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb DDR4 3000 / CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 with a MSI B450 Tomahawk board. I can play some games fine, like League of Legends or Civ VI, but when my son plays Fortnite we get crashes. I have been working on this problem a while and I think it is the ram or the ram settings. I have ran memtest and the ram tests fine. If I let the board just pick up the ram and run with the default values I get infrequent crashes, maybe once a day and only when son is playing Fortnite. I just changed the RAM settings in BIOS to the recommended settings for the RAM which is 15CL / Timing 15-17-17-35 / Voltage 1.35 and now the computer crashes everytime my son tries a game of Fortnite. Do you guys have any suggestions as far as some values I could try in the bios to stabilize the computer?

Thanks in advance!

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Hey folks,

I think I am having issues with my memory. I have:

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8gb DDR4 3000 / CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 with a MSI B450 Tomahawk board. I can play some games fine, like League of Legends or Civ VI, but when my son plays Fortnite we get crashes. I have been working on this problem a while and I think it is the ram or the ram settings. I have ran memtest and the ram tests fine. If I let the board just pick up the ram and run with the default values I get infrequent crashes, maybe once a day and only when son is playing Fortnite. I just changed the RAM settings in BIOS to the recommended settings for the RAM which is 15CL / Timing 15-17-17-35 / Voltage 1.35 and now the computer crashes everytime my son tries a game of Fortnite. Do you guys have any suggestions as far as some values I could try in the bios to stabilize the computer?

Thanks in advance!

A-XMP in the BIOS use Profile 1 2933mhz.

Reactions: JayferX

shknawe

Respectable
Oct 22, 2016
Thank you, I will try that and let you know how it goes. How do you know that the board doesn't support 3000, is that listed somewhere? Just trying to figure out where I missed that.
Sorry I was away. Answer to your question, if you look up the memory list for your board it shows your model memory, actually the whole corsair memory line, if you buy 3000mz memory it is supported at 2933. http://prntscr.com/mx9or5

Mar 12, 2019
It's qvl so test mem. for errors

https://www.memtest86.com

Ryzen 7 2700 / Radeon RX 580
I tested mem for errors, I only did one pass but it came up clean; should I run it for a few more passes?

I did just update the BIOS to 7C02v17, this changed around the ram settings a little. I set the computer to A-XMP Profile 1 and it runs the RAM at 2800.

Going to do some testing to see if it is more stable.

Mar 12, 2019
OK, I ran a sweep of memtest and the ram tested fine. I just did one pass and got itchy, so I removed one stick and Fortnite crashed; replaced stick with the 2nd stick and Fortnite crashed. I had a 2nd set of RAM sticks from another computer build, they are Corsair DDR4 2400 CMK16GX4M2A2400C14, put those in and let the Profile on default and Fortnite crashed. So it is looking like maybe not the RAM, any suggestions or should I maybe post this in another forum?

DavidM012

Distinguished
What GPU?

This one says driver update fixed it for them.

Memory:

RC, RFC1, RFC2, RFC4, RDDL, RDDS and FAW if you read these values you can compare them to the recommends of

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

and manually enter them.

If they are a bit off maybe that will add some stability.

Game specific crashes searched fortnite crashes and there's several things you could try if not already

fortnite crashes pc

https://www.tecklyfe.com/how-to-fix-fortnite-crash-windows-pc/

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019
GPU is a XFX Radeon RX 580.

Thanks for the info. That DRAM calculator is pretty complicated.

I will check out those articles and see if I can tweak the settings some in Fortnite to see what happens.