[SOLVED] Corsair Sleeved Cables - remove cable comb

Hi I bought the Corsair Individually Sleeved Cables Starter Pack - White. And these have preattached cable combs. The problem is my 2070 Super has an 8+6 pin connector while both these sleeved PCIe cables are 8+8 with combs attached so 2 pins hang around limply which looks bad. I have tried pulling with my fingers but that doesn't seem to work to remove the cable comb. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Solution
found this post on corsair forums....

"So you need to be very delicate with doing this so you don't ruin the comb.

Basically take a thin razor blade and gently wedge it between a cap and the center piece. The posts that hold the pieces together have 'scales' so they bite into the plastic.

DON'T USE A SAWING MOTION!! This will just cut into the soft plastic! Instead use a prying motion to get the blade wedged into the gap.

Once you get enough space switch to a tiny screwdriver to make the gap larger. You should be able to get one post out with the lever approach, then with your fingers just gently rotate 180° the cap that doesn't have the posts and then pull apart.

There you go!!"

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020

Basically take a thin razor blade and gently wedge it between a cap and the center piece. The posts that hold the pieces together have 'scales' so they bite into the plastic.

DON'T USE A SAWING MOTION!! This will just cut into the soft plastic! Instead use a prying motion to get the blade wedged into the gap.

Once you get enough space switch to a tiny screwdriver to make the gap larger. You should be able to get one post out with the lever approach, then with your fingers just gently rotate 180° the cap that doesn't have the posts and then pull apart.

There you go!!"

Solution

There you go!!"
Oof. That sounds slightly risky. Guess I'll have to try anyway.

You can also just bend the extra connector under the 6 pins to hide it, I just did it on a system for my son's girlfriend and you can't see it's there at all. Maybe use a bit of double-sided tape or how glue on it to hold it in tighter if you want.
That's actually what I've done till now lol. It's not too shabby. But I will always have that itch as long as I know in the back of my mind I have two extra cables hanging doing nothing