[SOLVED] Corsair SP140 RGB pro fan 3 pin to motherboard problem

Mar 4, 2020
Hi guys,
so a few days ago i bought a 1 corsair SP140 RGB PRO fan thinking that it will connect to my MSI B450 CARBON AC PRO motherboard, but it doesn't.
And now im stuck trying to build my computer with two fans (one case fan) that are completely useless.
The problem is that the fans i am trying to connect to are 3 pin instead of 4 pin system fans(i think that is where they go), is there any way i can get around this problem with a piece of kit or will i have to buy new fans altogether?
P.S all the sys_fan connectors are 4 pin.

Solution
Hi, the fan wont physically connect to the motherboard itself.
the fan is a 3-pin whereas the sys_fan is 4 pin
3 pin fans can fit in the 4-pin motherboard headers. I have 3 x SP120 RGB with B450 Tomahawk all work fine. The extra pin is to control 4-pin fans via PWM. With 3 pin fans you have to go to your bios and change from PWM to DC mode to control them with voltage. There is no way a 3 pin cannot physically fit to a motherboard 4pin fan header.
Hi, the fan wont physically connect to the motherboard itself.
the fan is a 3-pin whereas the sys_fan is 4 pin
3 pin fans can fit in the 4-pin motherboard headers. I have 3 x SP120 RGB with B450 Tomahawk all work fine. The extra pin is to control 4-pin fans via PWM. With 3 pin fans you have to go to your bios and change from PWM to DC mode to control them with voltage. There is no way a 3 pin cannot physically fit to a motherboard 4pin fan header.

Last edited:
Solution
Mar 4, 2020
3 pin fans can fit in the 4-pin motherboard headers. I have 3 x SP120 RGB with B450 Tomahawk all work fine. The extra pin is to controll 4-pin fans via PWM. With 3 pin fans you have to go to your bios and change from PWM to DC mode to controll them with voltage.
ok but for the rgb to work i will need the hub thing?

Mar 4, 2020
Yes , actually the cheaper way is always to buy the triple (for 120mm fans) or twin pack (for 140mm fans) that include everything you need for the RGB.
hi stefanos50, your advice really helped and now i have a fully working system
if you want the full system specs, then look below:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700x (stock fan used)
msi rtx 2060 ventus xs oc
2x8gb ddr4 corsair vengeance rgb pro ram c15
msi b450 gaming carbon ac pro
corsair cx550m semi modular
corsair sp140 rgb pro
120gb wd green m.2 ssd
1tb wd green hdd
case corsair carbide spec-05

Last edited: