Question CORSAIR TX Series TX850M 850W 80+ i9 9900k and RTX 2080Ti

Solix66

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
Planning to build a new PC. is corsair TX850M good enough for i9 9900k and RTX 2080Ti?
I also have an RM750i on my old computer that I can use too, do you think I should get a new PSU or just use my RM750i for the new build?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The RMi is definitely the better unit, although a 9900k paired with a 2080ti is usually recommended a 850w psu. Just the gpu alone (like the msi gaming with OC) have been clocked at 370w usage, on top of the possibility of another 250w from the cpu. Add in another 100w for the rest of the pc and you'll be topping out at possibly just over 700w. While the RMi is built to take that kind of beating, it's cutting it quite close.

If you use a more moderate 2080ti, not the highest ranked, tdps are closer to 250-300w instead, so even with gpu boost, they don't get much more, and if you stick with stock clocks on the 9900k and not opt for the 9900KS and full core 5.0GHz turbo, then you'd be closer to 200w there, putting totals closer to 600w or so, and much better off for the RMi.

Personally, I'd stick with the 750w RMi at first, and if you do decide on over the top performance, then opt for an upgrade, but I'd not use the TXM, I'd be looking at the RMx/RMi 850w or Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w etc.

You are looking at seriously expensive, top-line equipment, shortchanging the psu is the absolute last thing you should even consider. It should be a priority item.

Solix66

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
The RMi is definitely the better unit, although a 9900k paired with a 2080ti is usually recommended a 850w psu. Just the gpu alone (like the msi gaming with OC) have been clocked at 370w usage, on top of the possibility of another 250w from the cpu. Add in another 100w for the rest of the pc and you'll be topping out at possibly just over 700w. While the RMi is built to take that kind of beating, it's cutting it quite close.

If you use a more moderate 2080ti, not the highest ranked, tdps are closer to 250-300w instead, so even with gpu boost, they don't get much more, and if you stick with stock clocks on the 9900k and not opt for the 9900KS and full core 5.0GHz turbo, then you'd be closer to 200w there, putting totals closer to 600w or so, and much better off for the RMi.

Personally, I'd stick with the 750w RMi at first, and if you do decide on over the top performance, then opt for an upgrade, but I'd not use the TXM, I'd be looking at the RMx/RMi 850w or Seasonic Prime Titanium 850w etc.

You are looking at seriously expensive, top-line equipment, shortchanging the psu is the absolute last thing you should even consider. It should be a priority item.
Thank you. What does that x and i mean in RMx and RMi what's the difference between RM/RMx/RMi?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
RM is the base model, which is still an excellent psu. The RMx is a step up, uses heavier duty, better quality capacitors, better quality cables (type4 vs type3), has better ripple suppression etc. The RMi is the top of the RM series, has everything the RMx has, but a better fan, and ability to hook upto iCue software. It's basically on the same level as the HXi series, except the RMi is Gold rated and the HXi is platinum rated.

It's basically excellent, awesome, awesomer.

Solix66

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
I'm finding mixed reviews tho, some people saying TX has better quality some people saying RM is better, hard to choose now... :/

Why do you think RM is better than TX?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
VS, CX, TX, RM, HX, AX.

There's going to be some reviews that differ, but that's mostly an age thing. The new TXM has a mediocre fan and iffy fan curve, so runs kinda loud, the 2019 RM has a much better fan, runs significantly quieter, even quieter than the Seasonic Focus series.

That's not to say the TXM is bad, just that overall the RM series is better.

According to Corsair, it's gaming rated psus start at the RM series and go up. VS and CX are designed for office/OEM replacements, the TX is more for light duty gaming usage, heavier duty office/production use etc

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
According to Corsair, it's gaming rated psus start at the RM series and go up. VS and CX are designed for office/OEM replacements, the TX is more for light duty gaming usage, heavier duty office/production use etc
actually... i'd personally say in build quality it's the following (I'm not including noise here)

VS<CXM<Vengeance Bronze<CX<Vengeance Silver<RM<TXM<RMX<RMI<HX<HXI<AX<AXI

and i don't really see why an CX wouldn't technically be fine for this use, even if i'd argue that a RM(x) or something like a Bitfenix Whisper would come close enough in price today that i'd just pick up something a touch better

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
RMi vs. HXi Similarities/Differences
The RMi and HXi are very similar, with the only difference between the two series being that the RMi is 80 Plus Gold certified and the HXi is 80 Plus Platinum certified.

Jonny Gerow on Corsair Official Website. (that's the real jonnyguru)

Which would put the RMi as better than the Hx, so there's going to be some overlap in places. The fan on the TXM is not good at all, quite loud according to many posts, reviews, complaints, which would put the RM above it in my book.

Japanese caps are normally the standard to beat, and some do. So saying a psu with all Japanese caps is better than one with partial Japanese caps is sorta misleading as there are a few US and European companies with caps that are better. There's also different grades of Japanese caps, some more desirable than others.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Jonnyguru reviews on psus were not always done by Jon himself, Oklahoma Wolfe did many of the later ones, published on the jonnyguru site, since Jon was kinda busy with his employment, often out of the country.

As is, Jon has kinda moved out of that circle, and OW retired a while ago, so I'm not entirely sure who is running the show now, if anyone. So with the new 2018/2019 Corsair's out, older psus and hierarchy is somewhat up for grabs. Jon stated the TXM is better than the new RM, but the older RM is better than the TXM, and both designs are still in production. Paint job hasn't changed, so you'd have to know exactly which was which, new RM or last year's model, to say for sure. At best the 3 are equitable, differences so minor it was a judgment call, nothing I'd call a glaring difference like a CX vrs HX difference.

Jon would know for sure, could tell easily, but not me. Honestly, it wouldn't make a difference, Corsair has seriously stepped up and either RM series or the TX series is way better than a good majority of its price and wattage competition. I'd be happy to own either, but there's nothing wrong with my Evga G2.

Last edited: