Corsair tx550m - how to connect two gpu with molex and sata connectors?

dtepus

Prominent
Jan 21, 2018
Hi, i have the Corsair tx550m, but i dont have the modular cables for next 10 days.

I want to connect Asus dual gtx 1060 6gb and Asus dual gtx 1070 to the power supply.

I have the adapters:
2x molex to 8pin
1x molex to sata
1x sata to molex

I have 3x molex on one cable and 3x sata on the other cable.
I dont want to attach both gpu’s on one cable, i think it would be unstable.

My questions are:
1. can I attach to the molex cable “2xmolex to sata” to connect the gtx 1070 AND to the one left a “molex to sata” adapter and connect a hdd/ssd?
2. to the sata cable, can i connect 1xssd/hdd, 1x all case fans with rgb strip and 1x “sata to 6pin” to connect the gtx 1060?

I know its a mess and i hope you can help me that it would be stable but I need that as a short time solution.

I am using 200w of power with my 1070 so with 1060 it should be 320w together. The power should be enough.

Solution
Sound like a terrible idea to be honest, molex cables nor sata cables are rated to handle as much throughput as a pcie cable. Molex is 40watts I believe and sata is less.

If you are very impatient I would use only the molex to pcie adapters. I would say you are likely risking damage to the GPU or power supply if you try to power a 1070 with a SATA cable. If that means you cant power your drive, then just wait for your modular cables to arrive.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Sound like a terrible idea to be honest, molex cables nor sata cables are rated to handle as much throughput as a pcie cable. Molex is 40watts I believe and sata is less.

If you are very impatient I would use only the molex to pcie adapters. I would say you are likely risking damage to the GPU or power supply if you try to power a 1070 with a SATA cable. If that means you cant power your drive, then just wait for your modular cables to arrive.

Solution
Bad idea. Very bad idea. Each adapter increases resistance and causes extra heat. With multiple adapters the chance something melts and starts a fire becomes non-ignoreable factor. Something tells me this is going to be mining rig - and if so, we are talking about machine that works at nighttime without supervision, so any fire becomes deadly danger.
But with the above in mind, the setup you proposed can work. Just not worth the risk.