[SOLVED] Corsair TX550M weird fan ticking noise only after 2 years of use

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

I've been having this ticking noise issue for a couple of months now and it's started to get on my nerves, the noise comes and goes but it can get pretty loud at times. PSU only get's loaded to a max of 150W due to my setup being relatively low end.

Video link of the noise:
View: https://youtu.be/VZ4YeQV4Nr0

PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G
CPU Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4
RAM: 2x 8GB Patriot Viper Steel 3200MHz CL16
2x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3466MHz CL16
(Running at 2733MHz CL16)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2TB
SSD: Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
iGPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8 (OC'd to the point where it starts artifacting sometimes.)
Case: Fractal Meshify 2
PSU: Corsair TXM Gold 550W
Fans: 3x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 Hi-Speed PWM 120mm

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
my amd hd 6670 fan (3 years ago) stoped spining. i disconecteg the fan from GPU and put some WD40 in the middle(bearing). now it works fine for 3 years. if the waranty fails try lubricating the fan or put another new fan.
eternalabys Hello. I suggest that you submit a warranty claim, while continuing to update this message thread. Once approved, ask them if there is an advanced RMA option available, which would allow you to get the warranty replacement unit before sending your broken one back. If so, they will undoubtedly request your credit card number to place a hold (or charge) for the value of the replacement unit, in case you don't send back the broken unit in time.

contact corsair info
888-222-4346

specs
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...es-2017-config/p/CP-9020133-NA#tab-tech-specs

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Thanks for your responses!

I'm not in the US so I'll have to try and contact the retailer I bought it from, I'll ask about a possible advanced RMA, cause having any down time on my main PC would be detrimental as I do the majority of my school work using it.

I'll keep yall updated once I've contacted the retailer.

Of course you should try any method that'll possibly result in you getting proper support. However, I'd be surprised if the retailer would help you with a product purchased over a month ago. You should feel free to try it also, but I'd still recommend reaching out to Corsair. Even though they may or may not have free phone support outside the US and Canada, you can contact them via Skype for free. You could also submit a ticket through from the webpage below. <load webpage and click "Submit a ticket below">. That sounds like a pain free method to receive warranty support.

https://help.corsair.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

CALL-IN CORSAIR SUPPORT
Toll Free (USA & Canada Only):+1 888-222-4346

International Rates For All Other Countries

[Free via Skype]

bozo98

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2014
my amd hd 6670 fan (3 years ago) stoped spining. i disconecteg the fan from GPU and put some WD40 in the middle(bearing). now it works fine for 3 years. if the waranty fails try lubricating the fan or put another new fan.

Solution

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Doesn't sound like a bearing noise to me, more like the fan impeller hits something ever so slightly.

I've tried dusting and moving the fan by hand and it doesn't appear to hit anything, the issue is that it sometimes becomes quite audible and annoying, but sometimes the noise doesn't show up at all. It's really weird.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018

I think the PSU has a 5 year warranty, and it hasn't even been 2 years apparently.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Well, I've got some good news and some bad news.

Bad news: I didn't get to RMA the PSU because it would take over a week or two for it to be processed, and I really can't afford to be sitting without a PC for that long.

Good news: I rebuilt my PC, basically from the ground up, changed some things like HDD and fan mount location to try and give as much straight through air flow in the case as possible. And as of now, I haven't heard the sound again, although it's been less than a day.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Update: Noise came back, so I did a last resort type move and flipped the power supply so the fan is on the top outside of my case, and the noise completely disappeared. So it's definitely the fan making that noise.