[SOLVED] Corsair TX650 PSU keep clicking when load is about 250 watts ?

profkeys

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
When I turn on my PC, the 7 year old PSU fan turns and stops. When PSU load is about 150 watts, everything is OK. When PSU load is about 250 watts, fan is NOT running but PSU keep clicking. All PC components are OK. Any idea which PSU part has issue? Thanks.

When I turn on my PC, the 7 year old PSU fan turns and stops. When PSU load is about 150 watts, everything is OK. When PSU load is about 250 watts, fan is NOT running but PSU keep clicking. All PC components are OK. Any idea which PSU part has issue? Thanks.
Hey there,

That's really hard to know. But what is very important to know, is never open up a PSU to fix it. It's either gone (don't mess with and get a new one) or it's not.

Sounds to me like the fan motor is not working correctly, and that's why the fans don't spin up at load. I'd look for a replacement asap.

What are your PC specs and we can advise one to get. The TXM are good PSU's. But yours sounds like it's on it's last legs. Happens though.

Hey there,

That's really hard to know. But what is very important to know, is never open up a PSU to fix it. It's either gone (don't mess with and get a new one) or it's not.

Sounds to me like the fan motor is not working correctly, and that's why the fans don't spin up at load. I'd look for a replacement asap.

What are your PC specs and we can advise one to get. The TXM are good PSU's. But yours sounds like it's on it's last legs. Happens though.

profkeys

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hey there,

Fan motor does work as the 2-pin fan spins when PC reboots.

I think what happened was the continuous clicking/faulty system made the PSU temperature went up. Now the clicking is gone and PSU temperature drops. PC works normally. I stress test the CPU, PSU fan get turn on when load is 270 Watts. I think the PSU temperature system will die soon even it is OK for now.

I hope someone can explain the source of the clicking.

Thanks for your advice, I will NOT do soldering working on the PSU mobo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

ASK THE COMMUNITY