Corsair TX650W and Seasonic 620W M12II

XzyluM

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I'm currently in the process of finalizing my new system and have narrowed everything down until I came across the Seasonic M12II power supply. I originally had my mind set on the Corsair TX650 V2, but with the Seasonic M12II being modular, I'm thinking about switching to that. This will be going into a Corsair 300R with i5-2500K. Will be overclocking and maybe Crossfire down the road. Both PSU ranked in the second tier. I'm thinking either one is more than adequate, but should probably go with the modular. I believe Seasonic makes the TX line anyway. Thoughts? Both are the same price.

Seasonic MK12II:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Power%20Supplies-_-SeaSonic%20USA-_-17151095&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=

Corsair TX650W V2:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&Tpk=corsair%20tx650w%20v2

Solution
For a system using a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 26 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply...
Seasonic makes awesome PSUs...I love my M12II 520. The Corsair has 5A more on the 12V rail, but the Seasonic is modular. Seasonic does make both of those PSUs. I think this comes down to personal preference - choose the one that has the features you like the most.

XzyluM

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for the responses guys. I can't seem to find a whole lot of reviews on the MK12II. It does seem to be an older design with modular. Still debating modular or not. The Corsair 300R seems to have excellent cable management so doesn't seem like the non-modular would be too much of a burden.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 7850 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 26 Amps or greater and have at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

For a system using two Radeon HD 7850 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

The Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 (CMPSU-650TXV2), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 53 Amps and with two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single Radeon HD 7850. It is also more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7850 in 2-way CrossFireX mode. This PSU has a 5 Year Warranty.

The Seasonic M12II Bronze Series semi-modular 620W (SS-620GM), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 48 Amps and with one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX ???. It is also more than sufficient to power your system configuration with two Radeon HD 7850 in 2-way CrossFireX mode. This PSU has a 3 Year Warranty.

The Corsair has longer output cables if that matters to you.

Two reputable reviews for the Seasonic M12II Bronze Series 620W (SS-620GM):

http://hardocp.com/article/2010/05/18/seasonic_m12ii620_power_supply_review/1

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cases/display/seasonic-psu-roundup_3.html#sect0

Solution

XzyluM

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
Thanks for the advice guys. I decided to go with the Seasonic. Just seems like the overall better choice and it's semi-modular. Better reviews than the TX and also appears to be a lot quieter.