Question corsair tx850 fan problems

speedboat1

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
hi all,

so i've been having a series of random freezes lately--mostly during the load screens of gaming. the display would freeze, a USB disconnect sound would play, and a hard restart would be needed (alternately, the screen would sometimes go black and the computer would restart itself). in either case, the next boot would appear normal.

i combed the event viewer but mostly only found kernel power errors. (one did eventually turn up pointing to the GPU, which i've since disconnected and cleaned--it had quite a bit of dust in it.) SSD is brand new (samsung), and i ran a memory test as well. looking through posts here and elsewhere led me to consider the power supply (corsair TX850) as a possible culprit. as a result, i disconnected that too and tested it--first with the paperclip test, then with a multimeter. the paperclip test showed only that the fan did not start when the psu was on--but given that the TX850 has a variable speed fan, i wasn't sure if this meant anything. the multimeter showed all voltages normal.

with this in mind, i reconnected the PSU and booted the computer (working fine right now, though no gaming, and using the mobo GPU). i then ran prime95 small FFT to test the CPU. temps were really high (~100) so i reduced the OC to a pretty light amount. temps dropped to ~72. i examined the PSU a few times during the prime95 test. on the first occasion, the fan was spinning, so i thought--okay, it's not the PSU. the second time, though, i noticed the PSU fan was not spinning. this was with prime95 running, 100% load. it did seem to be trying to spin, though--a slight rocking or twitching motion, and when i tried a few times to give it a spin with a piece of paper, it started spinning on its own. a few minutes later, i looked, and it was stopped again.

so i wonder a few things:
  • is this PSU faulty? if so, is it serviceable, or better off being replaced?
  • does it seem likely that this kind of problem with the PSU was the cause of my crashes? if not, what else should i check?
thanks in advance for your ideas.

speedboat1

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
i believe it's TXV2. looks exactly like that picture, doesn't have the "M" designation (apologies for the incorrect post title). model number is listed as 75-001311. the PC was originally assembled in 2013, i believe; PSU hasn't been changed since.

just finished as 1.5 hr prime95 test and fan remained off, though PSU case is quite warm to the touch. CPU steady around 79C.

speedboat1

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
thanks reading through / response. can i take this to mean that: yes, this is abnormal behavior for this PSU, and the fan should be cycling on? any way i can test the fan just to be sure, or check PSU temps?

speedboat1

Reputable
Oct 19, 2016
oof yeah, it's a real graveyard out there. i thought i saw a place where i could get one but it's gone now.

thoughts on the coolermaster masterwatt 750 (not lite, not maker, just vanilla)? looks like a decent budget choice.