[SOLVED] Corsair TX850w PSU enough for GTX 3080/3090?

Status
Not open for further replies.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Please don't spam the forum, keep it to 1 thread.
Hi, i'm thinking about upgrading from my evga 1080TI into the new 3080 or possibly 3090 and i'm wondering if I'll be forced to also get a new PSU (Which is something I really don't want to do if I don't have to). I've read in a few places that the 3080/3090 will require at least an 850w psu but is that basically the minimum? Here is my current rig. Also, is there a chance that a 3090 could be bottlenecked by the 8700k?

i7 8700k no OC
EVGA gtx 1080TI SC2
gigabyte z370 aorus gaming 7
16gb ddr4 corsair vengeance ram
2x Samsung SSDs
Corsair TX850w PSU 80 plus bronze

Last edited:
Solution
I'm going to try to get over the fact that you called me an **** and cover some things...

Capacitors, as they age, will decrease in capacitance while the ESR increases. This doesn't typically impact capacitors that are simply "meant to hold a charge" like the bulk caps, but the caps on the secondary side that filter ripple. As ESR increases, the ripple increases. That means that while the PSU is still outputting a proper DC voltage, the ripply is probably higher. That ripple has to be filtered downstream. But parts like motherboards, graphics cards, etc. don't have nearly as robust L&C filtering as the actual power supply. So then the parts downstream are stressed and can fail prematurely.

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, i'm thinking about upgrading from my evga 1080TI into the new 3090 and i'm wondering if I'll be forced to also get a new PSU (Which is something I really don't want to do if I don't have to). I've read in a few places that the 3090 will require at least an 850w psu but is that basically the minimum? Here is my current rig. Also, is there a chance that a 3090 could be bottlenecked by the 8700k?

i7 8700k no OC
EVGA gtx 1080TI SC2
2x Samsung SSDs

Last edited:
Your PSU will be just fine.

Whether or not your CPU will bottleneck your new GPU mostly depends on the games you play; are they very CPU intensive? If not, a 6 core/ 12 thread CPU like yours should be good.

If you upgrade your GPU find your CPU coming up short (like if you were playing MSFS for example) you might be able to upgrade to a i9-9900 while retaining your current motherboard and PSU.

Hi, i'm thinking about upgrading from my evga 1080TI into the new 3080 or possibly 3090 and i'm wondering if I'll be forced to also get a new PSU (Which is something I really don't want to do if I don't have to). I've read in a few places that the 3080/3090 will require at least an 850w psu but is that basically the minimum? Here is my current rig. Also, is there a chance that a 3090 could be bottlenecked by the 8700k?

i7 8700k no OC
EVGA gtx 1080TI SC2
2x Samsung SSDs
You have a good CPU. It has 6c/12t and a good base /turbo speed. It will determine the frames being sent to the GPU. It's hard to tell if you'll get close to 100% GPU usage but I think you'll be fine with a 3070 or 3080. Make sure your CPU cooler is clean and ready to go.

Your power supply is another thing. It must be 7-8 years old and well out of warranty now if it's the older TX850. If you're talking about spending the money for a 3080 a new PSU is an insignificant cost. If it was me, I'd be looking for a new PSU with a similar power rating, of higher quality and at least 80+ Gold efficiency.

Last edited:

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
You have a good CPU. It has 6c/12t and a good base /turbo speed. It will determine the frames being sent to the GPU. It's hard to tell if you'll get close to 100% GPU usage but I think you'll be fine with a 3070 or 3080. Make sure your CPU cooler is clean and ready to go.

Your power supply is another thing. It must be 7-8 years old and well out of warranty now if it's the older TX850. If you're talking about spending the money for a 3080 a new PSU is an insignificant cost. If it was me, I'd be looking for a new PSU with a similar power rating, of higher quality and at least 80+ Gold efficiency.

Okay, but I'm trying to find out if I could get away with not upgrading the PSU. If i'm going to upgrade, then i'm going with the 3090, but i'm not willing to spend more than the cost of the 3090 because that's a hefty cost already. Not to mention that I really would rather not go through the headache of uninstalling my old PSU and installing a new one. If i'm forced to buy a new PSU just to be able to upgrade my GPU, then i'm not going to upgrade anything at all whether it's an insignificant cost compared to the GPU or not.

Last edited:

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading from my evga 1080TI into the new 3090 and I'm wondering if I'll be forced to also get a new PSU. I've read in a few places that the 3090 will require at least an 850w psu but is that basically the minimum? If I'm going to upgrade, then I'm going with the 3090, but I'm not willing to spend more than the cost of the 3090 because that's a hefty cost already. Not to mention that I really would rather not go through the headache of uninstalling my old PSU and installing a new one. If I'm forced to buy a new PSU just to be able to upgrade my GPU, then I'm not going to upgrade anything at all. Here is my current rig

i7 8700k no OC
EVGA gtx 1080TI SC2
2x Samsung SSDs

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
TX... Bronze?

So you're asking if you should still be using a 10 year old PSU with brand new hardware??

Yes, I am. It did last me that long and I've used it with relatively new hardware including the 1080ti/8700k setup that I'm using currently using without any issues. It's the 850w minimum requirement for the 3090 that is making me question whether I could get away with it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

platonicpotato

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
It's had a good run, but it's time to retire it. PSU's are not like fine wine that gets better with age, they are more like the cheap stuff that turns to vinegar over time.

I keep getting mixed responses on whether this power supply could handle the GPU upgrade so I'm just not going to upgrade anything at all and let it choose when to retire on it's own.

Last edited:

bignastyid

Titan
If this was the newer, improved TX850m(80 plus gold), you'd be fine. This is likely the unit Nemesia was thinking of. The TX850 bronze unit that you have is a much older unit. While it was a good unit 12 years ago given its age and what you want it to power, I can't recommend it's use.

So you think I'm an Removed because I'm concerned that you don't understand the implications of using a 10 year old PSU?

Just because a PSU powers up doesn't mean it's providing proper power.

But thanks for the insult.
This was already asked yesterday. He didn't like my answer either.
EDIT: nevermind. mod combined the threads.

Reactions: jonnyguru
I'm going to try to get over the fact that you called me an **** and cover some things...

Capacitors, as they age, will decrease in capacitance while the ESR increases. This doesn't typically impact capacitors that are simply "meant to hold a charge" like the bulk caps, but the caps on the secondary side that filter ripple. As ESR increases, the ripple increases. That means that while the PSU is still outputting a proper DC voltage, the ripply is probably higher. That ripple has to be filtered downstream. But parts like motherboards, graphics cards, etc. don't have nearly as robust L&C filtering as the actual power supply. So then the parts downstream are stressed and can fail prematurely.

Reactions: Archaic59
Solution
I keep getting mixed responses on whether this power supply could handle the GPU upgrade so I'm just not going to upgrade anything at all and let it choose when to retire on it's own.
Apparently some responders here thought you had the newer Gold version and did not catch the fact that you have the old Bronze model. I can see why you call that "mixed responses". The bottom line is that you need to replace what you have to protect your investment in a rather expensive piece of new hardware. We're watching your back and you should be grateful. Good luck, I hope you make the right decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS