[SOLVED] Corsair TX850W "small" issue

rampage300493

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
Hi,(long story short) recently i've been cleaning my PSU and dismantled fan, i lost one piece of fan which kept it upside down, now it has to be directed towards up so i guess it isn't helping psu almost at all,

Here's my question, my psu has a fan which is Ong Hua HA1425H12B-Z, 140mm, 0.50A, 2800 RPM, 140CFM, 48,5dB , my PSU is Corsair TX850W (CMPSU-850TX), it's a 2 pin connector which is pretty old, it also has a really high CFM which is 140 and i couldn't find proper replacement for it,what i found was 110 CFM but it was 4 pin connector and i have no idea whether it will work with my 2 pin header, right now im kinda afraid that my pc will go boom in any second beacuse of bad airflow.

But on the other hand, does this psu really needs that big airflow to take the heat out? i mean it was designed for around 95% usage which would be nearly 800W and right now im using(i assume) barely 500W maybe less my specs:

GTX 1660Ti
i5-8400
16GB RAM
2x120mm fans inside case
2x HDD which is 1TB and 2TB
2x SATA SSD which is 512,256GB SSDs
1x M2 NVMe 1TB SSD
MOBO Gigabyte B360M D2v

i'd really appreciate some help cause right now i don't know whether i should switch completely PSU to something else or just switch fan to less efficient and it will be okay, but on the other hand... 2 pin connector :)
thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Solution
Ok so you wouldn't be using it beacuse it's old, but what does it mean, is it a threat to the rest of my pc's components?

Potentially. CMPSU-850TX without the "V2" at the end was discontinued 10 years ago.

If a PSU doesn't operate within it's spec, it can damage hardware down stream while still appearing to "operate normally". If the PSU completely fails on the secondary side, it can also damage something down stream during the failure.

It's lasted this long. Make a trophy case for it and give it the "best PSU of the decade" award and get something new.

rampage300493

Reputable
Jan 16, 2018
Yeah buying new "stock" fan would be a mistake i guess if it's worth 1/3 of new PSU.
This PSU is kinda okay i guess, it's more than enough although there is one BUT, it's about 9 years old right now my friend gave it to me 2 years ago and he's been using it for quite a long time now, its 850W so it's solid, and right now due to ongoing situation im able just to buy PSU that delivers only 550-600W, which i guess would be fine but well... i'd rather just use this one until it fails and then be sure that is it's end. Missing piece is something that wouldn't let fan slip on bottom due to gravity, i have no idea what it might be but it's inside of mechanism so tie wrap isn't solution i can tell.

Last edited:
Ok so you wouldn't be using it beacuse it's old, but what does it mean, is it a threat to the rest of my pc's components?

Potentially. CMPSU-850TX without the "V2" at the end was discontinued 10 years ago.

If a PSU doesn't operate within it's spec, it can damage hardware down stream while still appearing to "operate normally". If the PSU completely fails on the secondary side, it can also damage something down stream during the failure.

It's lasted this long. Make a trophy case for it and give it the "best PSU of the decade" award and get something new.

Solution