Corsair Unveils Five 80 Plus Gold PSUs In The New RMx Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I'd like to see Intel and AMD and all parties involved to update PSU design. Every component in PC seems to improve but PSU, make they smaller, make the mail power connector smaller.............heck you will make more money just by having people upgrade their systems.

I'd like to see Intel and AMD and all parties involved to update PSU design. Every component in PC seems to improve but PSU, make they smaller, make the mail power connector smaller.............heck you will make more money just by having people upgrade their systems.

"If it aint broke dont fix it"
The whole point of the ATX specifications is compatibility across a wide range of hardware. If you decide to go and change that specification, you have a product gap that cant be crossed. Compatibility would then be split, and nobody wants that.

$110 for a Gold modular 550W? Am I missing something here? The same thing from XFX ( SeaSonic ) retails for $90 and is usually available for $80. Semi-modular units are often even cheaper and just as good. The 24-pin ATX and 4+4-pin CPU cables don't need to be modular since you're always going to use them.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Never mind that PSUs have gotten absurdly powerful in recent years, while getting more and more efficient, and more reliable, and cooler, and quieter. But yeah, never mind all that, there hasn't been any innovation in the PSU market since the '70s.

Well these are MSRP prices. The actaully price is usually a bit lower.

I know, but these MSRPs are $20 higher than competitor's MSRPs for similar products. I just don't see how these will sell without near immediate discounts.

Snayperskaya

Reputable
Sep 29, 2015
"Since we don't have enough series, let's make another one!"

Instead of keeping their classic series (VX and HX + CX and AX) they now make a THIRD RM (RM, RMi, RMx). Very smart.

Not sure. Wish I could answer those questions for you. It could be that Corsair feels the better fan warrants the extra cost, or the warranty which is 2 years longer than the one SeaSonic offers. Until we get a chance to look at it up close and compare it to the SeaSonic PSU we won't be able to say for sure.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Superflower-built EVGA G2-series +80 Gold spec PSU with a 10yr warranty for $70. if we throw on the "+$20MSRP" number that's still $20 cheaper than the MSRP for these new corsair, and that's a mighty tall wall to climb unless they scored a contract with Delta to make these.

Unlike a CPU, you can't die-shrink the cables- copper, steel, and whatever else they make them out of doesn't get any more conductive. Making the connectors and wires smaller reduces the current they can safely carry no matter how good the tech gets. We would need to find a whole new technology for transmitting power.

Making the PSU itself smaller, well, that's a bit easier, but then we aren't improving efficiency anymore... Why sacrifice efficiency and reliability, things that actually matter, in order to make them smaller when they don't need to be smaller? Ignoring that, why would they need to be any smaller anyway?

Regardless, there already are smaller form factors for PSUs available. ATX is not all there is.

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
I'd happily buy an SFX or TFX PSU/Case if there was the same options/quality/efficiency as an ATX, just takes a heck of a lot more effort than going to Newegg or a review on here and placing an order. I'm sure SOMEWHERE there might be a few Delta-built options but iirc those are really all industrial supplier channels and not common market. I think SeaSonic makes 1? 2? of thsoe smaller PSUs and they're not really at the top of anyone's shopping list. It's unfortunate, but ATX is here to stay for the duration.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

"If it aint broke dont fix it"
The whole point of the ATX specifications is compatibility across a wide range of hardware. If you decide to go and change that specification, you have a product gap that cant be crossed. Compatibility would then be split, and nobody wants that.
What do you think the standard was before ATX? standard come and go, if they change it would be for something better, all will then have to follow, if you can imagine it it will happen, what would you change if you could?

Yes, standards do change. However, in the current market there exists absolutely no need for a standards change. Current units supply a massive range of wattage, with units pushing closer to 2kW of power, while maintaining high efficiency.
Sure it can change, but it is pointless to change it because we want to.

ammaross

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
$110 for a Gold modular 550W? Am I missing something here? The same thing from XFX ( SeaSonic ) retails for $90 and is usually available for $80. Semi-modular units are often even cheaper and just as good. The 24-pin ATX and 4+4-pin CPU cables don't need to be modular since you're always going to use them.
The cables are modular so you can replace them with different colors/styles of cables per the article: "Because all of the cables in the unit can be removed, Corsair announced that it will produce a wide range of optional cable accessories, including a range of colored cables for matching the theme of your system."

So not only do I have to spend extra on the PSU, I have to spend even more money afterward in order to take advantage of color-coded cables? The idea of spending extra money to style out your computer has never made sense to me, just like anytime someone values fashion over function. I build computers to play games and do work. Looking "pretty" doesn't help it accomplish either of those. Yes, that's personal preference and I don't expect everyone to share it.

A longer warranty is a nice bonus, but I don't know that it's worth an extra $20. Overall I think these are very overpriced.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Cables are modular, first and foremost, so you can remove unused cables and improve airflow/avoid a massive rats nest at the bottom of your case. Any cosmetic concerns were definitely after the feature had been around for some time.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008

yeah low wattage is not price competitive, but the higher wattage ones are sure priced nicely for fully modular PSU' with gold certification

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
So not only do I have to spend extra on the PSU, I have to spend even more money afterward in order to take advantage of color-coded cables? The idea of spending extra money to style out your computer has never made sense to me, just like anytime someone values fashion over function. I build computers to play games and do work. Looking "pretty" doesn't help it accomplish either of those. Yes, that's personal preference and I don't expect everyone to share it.
I laughed when you complained about anything being valued over function and then proceeded to mention you play games.

Teraman

Reputable
Sep 30, 2015
I laughed when you complained about anything being valued over function and then proceeded to mention you play games.
Being able to run games is a function.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE computer games, been playing them for over two decades. But it's entertainment, not a necessary function. It's an extra just like optional colors for modular cables.

Going by that logic, a color monitor isn't necessary either. Neither is a mouse. Nor an OS with a GUI.

Same goes for whatever it is that you do for recreation.

You made two grave errors. First, I never claimed nothing could be above function, so that's incorrect. I said I don't put fashion above function. Second, you then added the "necessary" qualifier to function. If you're going to try to argue with someone, or prove them wrong, it helps to use the words they actually said.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
Color monitors not necessary? That's absurd. Photo editing and production is a legitimate profession. Similarly, so is conditional highlighting for spreadsheets, error tracking in databases, and syntax highlighting in programming. A mouse not necessary? Again, it's a tool that makes work function far more efficient. Have you ever tried using a graphics program without a mouse? GUI not necessary? Have you ever had to the need to multitask...how advanced is the command line these days for multitasking?

But you are partially correct, items like dumb terminals that don't require action often don't have those perks, but please don't be stupid about this. I made no errors, you're making a specious point at best.

Your whole basis was that spending money to 'style' a computer was a waste. You then compared that to a frivolous (not having any serious purpose) fashion over function. Yet you build computers to play games and do work, and playing computer games is also frivolous. In both cases there is an extra expenditure of money on something frivolous yet you demonize one and happily accept the other. It doesn't make you a bad person, but it does make you a little short sighted and intolerant.

Hmmm, I haven't done a good fisking in a while. I suppose it's time.

Necessary for what? And just who are you to make that judgment and apply it to me or anyone else? But no, you're wrong. You don't need a color monitor to own or operate a computer.

By which you're suggesting a game designer isn't a legitimate profession. Whay would the product of one be necessary and the other unnecessary? Once again, who are you to make that claim?

How are any of these activities any more legitimate or necessary than anything else?

Any number of tools are more or less efficient than others. It doesn't mean they are required to do a job. Pneumatic nailers are great, but it doesn't mean you can't build a house with a hammer instead. If mice were absolutely necessary, how, oh, how did any work ever get done in the 60s or 70s? Ever hear of a tab key?

Once again, you're missing the point entirely. I never said anything about multitasking.

Actually, yes you have. I laid it out quite clearly how you misquoted me and ran with it. You've also made a few more here.

Go ahead and ( try to ) use uncommon words if you want, but you might want to use them correctly. Specious means an idea that sounds plausible but is actually impossible. Nothing I've said is actually impossible. Perhaps you were exaggerating for effect, but words and definitions are very important to me.

Once again, you're misquoting what I actually said. I said the idea of spending extra money ( meaning money above and beyond what I would normally have to spend ) on style didn't make sense to me and that I don't put fashion over function. Just because I don't choose to put money on something doesn't necessarily mean I think it is a waste for everyone. And I respect others having the right to make their own choice on the matter, even if it's not something I'd do.

Frivolous is your word, not mine. I didn't qualify fashion.

Who are you to deem what is and is not frivolous?

That's some harsh language, saying I'm "demonizing" something. About the only thing being demonized here is me ( see, I can play the victim and make you look absurd too ). Check again with what I wrote. I stated what my opinion is and quite clearly followed that up by saying I didn't expect everyone else to agree with it. No where did I lay any accusation against those who disagree with me.

Hmm, looks like I ticked off a progressive, throwing around that "tolerant" word. These people never seem to understand the irony and hypocrisy. You want to call me intolerant for not agreeing with one point of view, but you spend many words telling me while my point of view is wrong. Yeah, think about that a little.

Now then, if I still have your attention, allow me to offer some advice. If you're going to try to pick an argument with someone, it helps to better understand the difference between stating an opinion and making a claim as though it were a fact. If you were to say, "I don't think gaming is a necessary function for a computer," then I can't argue with that because that's how you feel. However, making the statement "Games aren't necessary" is a problem. It has no qualifiers, therefore it's indefinite and includes every scenario. Blanket statements like that are of course very easy to be proven wrong.

Now before you go and say I did the same thing, remember first that I specifically said I was going off your own logic, therefore your own blanket statement. So, if you're done trying to argue against what I said, perhaps you can apply that to your own claim and realize its ridiculousness.

xyriin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I'm glad you self described your comments as fisking.

"Fisking is a written argument where one person sequentially addresses each point of an of another person's argument in a precise manner relying on semantics and ambiguities to infer a defect in the original point. This approach is tantamount to taking a sentence out of context in order to refute an entire argument, and thus does not disprove the thesis as a whole."

Makes my life easy when you invalidate yourself. Thank you! :)

Your definition of specious is correct, you were actually just wrong so the definition fits. This flies in parallel to your self described fisking.

I'm glad you finally see the error in deeming something frivolous based on personal preference. You are now 100% in alignment with why I called you out for denouncing modular cable options. I'm glad you've gotten on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.