Corsair USB Padlock 2 Has 256-bit AES, Keypad

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
wow thats a good price for that level of security. I have a 16gb corsair like this one pictured and the chip came out of the rubber casing it seems to have been poorly glued to the rubber casing....

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]What in the Heck would you ever put on a thumb drive that you would need to secure it ???? WTF[/citation]
Really? You asked that? You mean to tell me you don't see the worth of being able to move information off of a hackable platform and onto a media that is guaranteed to be only accessible via password?

Really?... Come on now...

rick2689

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
I don't see the point of 'securing' these flashdrives. If someone wants to see your private data they'll find a way to somehow. I mean c'mon...if someone has possession of your drive it's only a matter of time before they get what they want. If you want to keep sensitive data find a proprietary method of storing it. Use a 5 1/4 inch floppy. That'll show em'

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]rick2689[/nom]I don't see the point of 'securing' these flashdrives. If someone wants to see your private data they'll find a way to somehow.[/citation]

I respectfully disagree: there is a reason why the nuke launch codes were never stolen!

rick2689

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]I respectfully disagree: there is a reason why the nuke launch codes were never stolen![/citation]

I don't follow you...Which nuke codes? Did anyone have them on their person? What's your argument? :) Just trying to understand where you're coming from. Please elaborate.

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]What in the Heck would you ever put on a thumb drive that you would need to secure it ???? WTF[/citation]

u won't say that if u plan to transfer sensitive materials (interpret it however u want :)), and lost the drive.

redplanet_returns

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
[citation][nom]rick2689[/nom]I don't follow you...Which nuke codes? Did anyone have them on their person? What's your argument? Just trying to understand where you're coming from. Please elaborate.[/citation]

i don't know how nuke codes are stored...but from my out-dated knowledge of AES, it's practically unbreakable (takes a ridiculous amount of time/tries to crack to be feasible) with computer equipments affordable to most people today.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Not that I have anything to hide, it's the priniciple of the matter.
256 bit is a joke, 1024 would be more appropriate. I am sure there is some hidden FED law or regulation stopping any thing higher to make sure they (the government) can easily break in when ever they want. Just say no to big brother.
Luckily you can download free encryption tools at this time and do not need this.

G

If data written to the memory chips are encrypted with AES, then you wouldn't be able to read the original data by soldering it to another circuit. You would see data, just not data that made any sense to you.

@Regulas
If 256 bit is a joke, please feel free to crack it. If the government is able to crack it, why would 256 be enough for top secret information?

Lunatic Magnet

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
With the plethora of malware that likes to write to removable media there is certainly an advantage on lockable and encrypted media. These are especially handy in public computing environments like schools, libraries etc.

tat2demon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rick2689[/nom]I don't see the point of 'securing' these flashdrives. If someone wants to see your private data they'll find a way to somehow. I mean c'mon...if someone has possession of your drive it's only a matter of time before they get what they want. If you want to keep sensitive data find a proprietary method of storing it. Use a 5 1/4 inch floppy. That'll show em'[/citation]

By that reasoning why bother locking up your house or car? Why not just throw everything you own out on the lawn for people to come by and freely take? If they want it theyll get it anyway right?

G

Re: the 'nuclear codes'.

The US Strategic Air Command didn't like that they couldn't launch without authorization, so until 1977 the lockout codes on the missiles were set to *all zeros*: OOOOOOOO

I suspect rick2689 was pointing out that no amount of encryption security can overcome the ability of fools to use bad passwords.

MoUsE-WiZ

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
1) Password is limited to digits. Unless it wipes after X amount of tries you don't need to break AES, you need to automate password entry.
2) They say it's secure if the drive is disassembled, but the password and AES key both need to live somewhere in it. It might be hard to hack, but I'm sure it's hackable through disassembly.

3) That said, for 60$ it offers a reasonable amount of protection; just depends who you're trying to hide what from.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
Using 256-bit AES on this device is a nice marketing ploy, but absolutely pointless because you're only going to be using a short, weak pass-code which will seriously limit the strength of the encryption. You would have to enter about an 85 DIGIT RANDOM PASSCODE to take full advantage of 256-bit AES! Any encryption, no matter how "strong", is weak if you use a weak key. That doesn't mean this thing is completely useless, but it is only going to protect your data from your nosy computer-illiterate co-workers or an average Joe who finds your lost USB drive.

Just about anybody who knows what they're doing and has the right tools, including some "hackers", most police forensics departments, and most definitely the three-letter government agencies, are going to be able to crack your puny passcode in a matter of SECONDS, if it even takes that long.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Roland: One.
Dark Helmet: One.
Colonel Sandurz: One.
Roland: Two.
Dark Helmet: Two.
Colonel Sandurz: Two.
Roland: Three.
Dark Helmet: Three.
Colonel Sandurz: Three.
Roland: Four.
Dark Helmet: Four.
Colonel Sandurz: Four.
Roland: Five.
Dark Helmet: Five.
Colonel Sandurz: Five.
Dark Helmet: So the combination is... one, two, three, four, five? That's the stupidest combination I've ever heard in my life! The kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage!

G

I use Ironkeys flash drives. They can't be beat in terms of security.

cdillon

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]MoUsE-WiZ[/nom]2) They say it's secure if the drive is disassembled, but the password and AES key both need to live somewhere in it. It might be hard to hack, but I'm sure it's hackable through disassembly.[/citation]

No, that's not how good encryption works. I'm not endorsing this USB stick as "good", it may or may not be, I don't know... The password is used to generate the much larger (256-bit in this case) decryption key on the fly and then discarded. The password doesn't have to be stored anywhere but in your head, and the decryption key is also not stored and only used to decrypt the data while it is needed, then disappears when you're done with it. If you get the password wrong, then the generated decryption key will be wrong, and the end result will be "garbage" data. The ONLY way to know that the password was correct is that the decrypted data will be, well, decrypted (not garbage). Usually the software looks for some well-known data in the decrypted data and if it sees it, it knows the decryption key is correct, otherwise it asks you to try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.