Which one will suit best I also have evga nvidia gtx 780 superclocked with acx

need an answer quick please

also the 1866 has lower latency than the 2133 so im totally confused

oh and the intel i7
Yyeah i was rushing whoops its 4790k haswell

im trying to do gaming like battlefield 4, crysis 3, arma 3 , dayz, far cry 3

Im also trying to hit that 59-60 fps constanty

Solution
If you are using an intel CPU, 1600MHz with the lowest timings possible is the way to go. Haswell is optimised for 1333 and 1600, anything above that actually hurts performance very slightly especially in games due to slower timings. :)

Alex Kelly

Honorable
If you are using an intel CPU, 1600MHz with the lowest timings possible is the way to go. Haswell is optimised for 1333 and 1600, anything above that actually hurts performance very slightly especially in games due to slower timings. :)

Solution

SwifterLDN

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Thanks dude just in time i was having thoughts of cancellng my order by the way tell me if you think this is a beast setup or eeven good.

My Gaming PC Specs:
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO Z97 Socket 1150
CPU: 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 4790 3.50GHz Socket LGA1150
Ram: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHz Dual
Graphics Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC ACX 3GB GDDR5
PSU: Corsair AX860i 860 W
Cooling: Hydro Series™ H100i
Fans: 4x Corsair SP120 120mm, 1x Corsair AF140 140mm, 3x Stock Fans
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Full Tower ATX Case
SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive
SATA HDD: Seagate 2TB Desktop 3.5inch 8GB SSD SSHD
DVDRW: LiteOn iHAS124 24X Internal DVD Writer with SATA
Monitor: Asus VE228HR 54.6 cm (21.5") LED LCD Monitor - 5 ms

What!?! If you can get 2133mhz with a CAS of 9, it'll be better than 1600 at that same CAS timing. The issue arises from the fact that it's harder to get that timing once you start getting up in mhz. Also, the difference in performance isn't that great, so generally not worth it unless you are using an Apu setup.

I'd look for 1866mhz with a Cas of 9 or 2133 with that same timing if the price isn't too much more than plain 'ol 1600mhz. Something like:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($157.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $157.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-26 19:09 EDT-0400

Alex Kelly

Honorable
No problem :) and nearly everything looks perfect to me, although I would suggest an EVGA Supernova G2 850W power supply instead, as it is cheaper and has the best voltage and ripple regulation out right now, and still gives you the option to SLI later on. It's slightly less efficient but well worth the performance, low noise and 10 year warranty. It also might be worth getting a 144HZ monitor as your bottleneck will definitely be that monitor you have selected. I understand if you are on a low budget after those components but you will have a perfect PC and wont be able to get the full benefits from it if you're at 60HZ. :)

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I can see why you think what I said was wrong, but generally higher frequency means slower timings, and I based what I said off of these tests. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL1BEvk8UGA

Are you getting a "K" series cpu? Doesn't seem like it. If you aren't, ditch the z97 motherboard and the 100i cooler because you don't need them. I'd also just get a plain vanilla HDD as your storage drive since you already have the SSD in the build. Also, you could get the Radeon 290x video card for about the same price as an nVidia 780 which would give you better performance.

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I agree, make sure you are getting a K series otherwise the motherboard and cooler aren't necessary. I disagree about the GPU though, the 290 and 290X run very loud and hot inside most cases, and Nvidia has more user friendly drivers and less issues in my opinion. Nvidia are constantly updating their drivers and improving performance. I had an MSI 290 for a while and had so many driver issues as well as noise and heat issues. Ended up selling it for much less than I got it for and wished I'd saved up for a 780. :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It all depends on the Cas timings of the ram. Comparatively, CL 11 @ 2133 is faster by a small margin than CL 10 @1866, which is faster than CL9 @ 1600. Now take into consideration that CL7@ 1600 is faster than CL11@ 2133, but CL9 @ 2133 is faster still.

Haswell CPUs like all prior Intel CPUs, is optimized for 1333 and 1600, with 1600 being a 1:1 ratio. By adding faster MHz ram like 2133, while you will see an increase in speed between comparable timings, you will also see an increase in heat as you are forcing the CPU to work faster than Intel has specified as perfect. For most people running good aftermarket cooling solutions, the few degrees C higher is inconsequential, for those running stock cooling, this could be a problem.

I run my 1600 @ 2166- 10-11-10-30, and it benchmarked @ 17% faster than 1600- 9-9-9-24. Don't tell me faster MHz runs slower because of slower timings hah

Alex Kelly

Honorable

I didn't mean it will run slower for benchmarking. As I already had posted it's just been shown that it doesn't improve performance in games, probably because of the extra stress on the CPU as you mentioned. :)

It depends on the cooling solution for the 290 and 290x cards. The stock cooling is crap, but the non-reference designs are solid. The particular 290x I'd get is the Gigabyte Windforce, which features one of the best cooling solutions around for nVidia or Amd. I've been using Radeons for 14 years with one break for a 7800gtx and have had 0 issues with them driver-wise.

Like I said though, the 290x will out-perform a 780 for the same price. Just be sure to get a non-reference cooling design as yes, there will be noise and heat issues. My personal pick right now would be:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $479.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-07-26 19:33 EDT-0400

SwifterLDN

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Yeah i bought the 1866mhz it was also recommended by one of my friends on youtube I basically got the same set up as him he is running crysis 3 unclocked at 59-60fps cosntant maybe just going low to 55 but not any lower.

I was only curious because I saw someone on youtube unboxing a 2133mhz with asus maximus vii

Alex Kelly

Honorable

The 290 I had was a MSI Twin Frozr. It went over 90 degrees in my NZXT H440 before I even put the clock speeds up to the factory overclock. I build my friend a PC with a Gigabyte 290 and they have had issues with noise and heat with that card too. So yeah I've had experience with 2 different aftermarket cooled 290s and have had issues with both, so I wouldn't recommend a 290X. But its up to the OP. :)

SwifterLDN

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

I cant find any the price around £100-150 even on a 20inch 144hz i will still search though and if i cant find one then i wont buy the expensive ones, maybe later when i get paid again LOL then i could have a funky duel monitor set up

And for the psu i researched it but its gold, i'd rather go with premium im that type of guy

Alex Kelly

Honorable

Yeah, 144Hz monitors are much more expensive so it might have to wait until later :) you just might regret spending money on a 60Hz if you're going to upgrade later on, although if you're happy to have a dual monitor setup that would work :)

Platinum over gold is an efficiency increase of almost nothing and because of the other benefits I would still highly recommend an EVGA G2, but it is your decision and the corsair will also be great. You'd just be paying quite a bit more for something that doesn't perform quite as well, but I suppose over many many years the slightly better efficiency might make that money back :p

SwifterLDN

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Thanks for telling me that. I would not of known about 144hz. I also bought a 4k hdmi lead so I might be interested in 4k monitors :p