Corsair Vengeance and ASUS F2A85 (FM2) compatibility

G

Hello,

My memory is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. I am running 2 kits (4x4gb) and cannot get it to POST.

I can get it to boot with 3 sticks in, but not 4? I cannot find it on the QVL list, can I fiddle with the timings and get it to work or should I send it back?

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hello,

My memory is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. I am running 2 kits (4x4gb) and cannot get it to POST.

I can get it to boot with 3 sticks in, but not 4? I cannot find it on the QVL list, can I fiddle with the timings and get it to work or should I send it back?

The issue is being caused by running two kits together. Each kit will be programmed with a timing set that is configured for a single kit only. The timings will likely need relaxing for the board to POST and be stable when running both kits together. You can add +1 to each of the primary timings, and then save and allow the board to POST. When it POSTs, enter UEFI and once you are in there, power down the system at AC and add in the second kit. The power back up and see if it will POST, if not repeat the process above, adding +1 to the third timings in the UEFI DRAM timing section.

Alternatively, an easier ride will be to purchase a single memory kit, rated at the speed and density you wish to run. In your case that would be a single kit rated at DDR3-1600 and 16GB. Anything faster than this can be risky as the memory controllers on the CPU are variable and may need manual adjustment for full stability - DDR3-2133 for example may be difficult for some CPUs.

-Raja

G

Great reply! My friend and I removed the sticks to see if any of them were bad, but the problem does not appear to lie in the RAM, it simply does not like being populated with four sticks.

So the default timings on my DDR3 is 9-9-9-24 - do I put them up for sure? You mentioned 'relaxing' the timings, can you explain a little further?

Are you saying put the memory to 10-9-9-24, then reset, if it doesn't post, try 10-10-9-24, if not 10-10-10-24 etc? Do I need to change the 24 + 1?

Will lowering the timings help?

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Change ALL of the primary timings by +1. So start with 10-10-10-25.

The third timing set is not these timings, scroll down in the DRAM timing section of UEFI and you will find them. You are looking for the timings that include read to read and write to write delay.

-Raja

G

It's the third timings that seem the hardest! I have ram in A1, B1 and B2. Are you saying test a pair at a time?I don't even know if they're in the right order now!

What do I add plus 1 to in the third set exactly, aside from what you mentioned? Stuff says "x1.00", it's not clear.

Sorry for the garbled post, haven't slept!

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
It's the third timings that seem the hardest! I have ram in A1, B1 and B2. Are you saying test a pair at a time?I don't even know if they're in the right order now!

What do I add plus 1 to in the third set exactly, aside from what you mentioned? Stuff says "x1.00", it's not clear.

Sorry for the garbled post, haven't slept!

Initially, you just need the board to POST so you can make changes to the memory timings and then add in the extra memory modules. Nothing else about the configuration you use matters. Hope that clears up the confusion for you :)

List all the third timings you have available and I'll tell you what to change. You can save UEFI screenshots to a FAT32 formatted drive, convery to JPEG and then upload them so that they can be viewed by us online.