Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-4600 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

barryv88

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Ok correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the Super Talent F3200 kit smokes everything in terms of overall performance and at the same time, costs only 129 bucks. Seems like a bargain to me.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Am i missing something? The cheapest and lowest rated ram of the comparison is the fastest?

Why even sell 4600 if its slower then 3200.

I would urge caution in sweeping generalizations (in a limited 'Corsair' review) while noting the F3000UX16G first numbers are impressive in this instance.

I'll also note that the F3000UX16G kit is the only (?) dual-rank set, and a DDG search did not find any in stock -- and where listed were priced from $186 to $200.

That said, here's hoping the fine folks at THG can pull together the AM4+ components for a test-drive of a new RyZen APU at similar levels. Make it so, Corsair!

alex0826

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
$549 for 16 gigs of ddr4 RAM, granted it's high-speed Ram, but really? Who's drug habits are we supporting? They are out of their tree, not to mention the cost of a 1950x CPU and a $400 motherboard to go with it, wow! And this Hardware combined is not even a fraction of a Quantum computer. Of course we're talking about two different leagues but still I had to throw in that stupid analogy. What I'm trying to say is mainstream consumer PC Hardware whether it be enthusiastic class or not seems to be getting pricier over the recent years. Yuck! I think companies and manufacturers alike should all get on the same page and keep their prices really low. That way consumers will have a connection fit and name their first born after that company LOL. Mainly I'm complaining because I can't afford to build the threadripper rig I would surely like to build to replace the FX 9590 I've had for a number of years.:-(

alex0826

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
There should be an option to edit what you've posted like other forms allow. I said conniption fit but something else came out LOL

All comments can be edited. You just need to get to the forums in order to do it. Click the COMMENT FROM THE FORUMS link in the upper right part of the comments section.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

We originally presented Super Talent's dual-rank DIMMs as an alternative to the T-Force Dark ROG memory reviewed here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/teamgroup-dark-rog-16gb-ddr4-3000,4997.html
The T-Force Dark ROG is available for $192 at Newegg.

jgunn2

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
If the DDR4-4600 Corsair RAM is advertised at 4600mhz with a requirement of 1.5V to reach this speed, why is it compared to other RAM sets only being tested at 1.30V? Am I missing something? Why was its full potential not tested vs. the full potential of the competition? Why is there no posted performance data based on the Cosair advertised specs? Kind of like buying a V6 but taking 2 cylinders out and then expecting it to perform better than a cheaper car specifically optimized as an inline 4...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
First of all, it's 1.35V. Take a look at the top of this chart:
image001.png

We set the 1.35V test limit back when people were having trouble with memory controller damage from higher-voltage RAM. The workaround was to increase the memory controller voltage in order to reduce the voltage difference between the memory controller and the memory signal, but we never employed it. Yet some manufacturers have figured out that some motherboards will now use the workaround when configured with 1.50V RAM.

We agreed to test the kit before taking note of its test-violating voltage level. Rather than force a violation out of the other kits, we limited the 1.50V test to DDR4-4600's XMP configuration. If you look at the charts you'll see it performed better at DDR4-4000 with optimized timings than it had at DDR4-4600 using XMP timings? The DDR4-4000 test, like those of the competing modules, was run at 1.35V.

cmsvmylo

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Anyone who buys 16GB of RAM for $550 is throwing their money away. Especially in gaming there is no benefit above 3200MHz.

Xajel

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Why not testing these with Ryzen ? Ryzen has a stricter RAM clocks and latency setting and it's always welcome if a certain memory can expose better clocks and latency than others..

hannibal

Distinguished
Ryzen has narrower support to different dram modules. So the compability is not so wide as with Intel prosessors. But definitely memory test with Ryzen would be much more interesting than with Intel!
The Ryzen+ should have wider variance to different rams so really waiting to see interesting test in the summer with new version of Ryzen.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The easy answer is that the dual-rank memory has a larger performance advantage than higher data rate on a CPU that prefers four or more ranks of memory. I have my theories as to why this is (initiating a transfer to or from one rank while the other rank is between operations), but since I can't prove any of that I'm not going to put it in an article.

My point is that what people are saying about THIS DDR4-3000 kit can't be said about ALL or even MOST DDR4-3000 kits. A few are dual-rank, most aren't. Unless you're buying 16GB DIMMs, which are all dual-rank, since the DDR4 desktop RAM market is currently limited to 8Gb and 4Gb ICs with 8-bit data interfaces, making either a 4GB or 8GB 64-bit rank on each side.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Proof is in the pudding. These are just a sample of the hundreds of reviews proving memory speed does nothing for performance in the real world. Synthetic benchmarks are for trust fund babies ;P

lar33mo

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
My head hurts!! I just want to stick my two 16 Corsair Vengeance 4000 sticks into my EVGA X99 motherboard, and have everything work! I really don't care if presently available hardware, needs to "throttle" each other. Down the line. I would like to think that everything will play nice together, as Tech moves forward. Future proof!! Tim Taylor.. "More power.. grunt, grunt!" I would prefer a Benford 7800 Blaster, personally! LOL .

Status
Not open for further replies.