Question Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz 2x8GB not working on MSI Z390 A Pro

Mar 15, 2019
Heya,

I have recently bought myself a new PC. It is now mostly build, only the GPU and storage not in there. I decided to test it before doing much else, so I connected it to the next best screen I got my hands on and tried to get it to go into the BIOS. Upon starting, the fans all rev up and the Debug LED immediately gets past the CPU light. After that, though, it sits on the DRAM light for a while before going back to the CPU light for a bit and right on to the DRAM light again and so on and so on. At no point in the whole process do I get any picture from the system.

After trying to just use a single stick of RAM I concluded that it doesn't work with either. Only when I borrowed a stick of 8GB DDR4 RAM from someone else and put it in did it work and let me get into the BIOS without any trouble.

My question now is, what is the most probable reason for this and what should my next step be? Did I just win the lottery and get two sticks of RAM which both are faulty? Does some part of my build simply not support these two sticks? Most importantly, is there something I can do to get these sticks to work, should I reorder them, or should I order different sticks all together?

Further information:

Motherboard: MSI Z390 A Pro
CPU: Intel i5 9600k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX

Newer information:

I have managed to start the PC with the borrowed RAM, set the clock speed from Auto to manually on 2133MHz as is the standard for that borrowed RAM.
Then I put in one of mine and put it on 2666MHz as is the seeming maximum for my CPU. That also worked. Only when I put in the second stick in Dual Channel does it not work anymore. I would like to have them in Dual Channel, though. Any ideas?

EDIT:

Even with two of the borrowed RAM sticks the PC refuses to boot as soon as they are both put in Dual Channel. What could the reason for that be?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019
Could be a motherboard BIOS issue. With the borrowed RAM installed only, install the latest BIOS.

I've had major issues with one Z390 board which was on an old BIOS. Installing the latest one fixed everything.

Alright, that is what I am going to do first thing tomorrow. I hope that fixes it. Otherwise, I am absolutely at the end with even thinking of other solutions. I will report back with the results and if nothing else came up by then, I guess I will just go with sending that board back and requesting a replacement.

Thanks for your time!
Rukk

Mar 15, 2019
Alright, that is what I am going to do first thing tomorrow. I hope that fixes it. Otherwise, I am absolutely at the end with even thinking of other solutions. I will report back with the results and if nothing else came up by then, I guess I will just go with sending that board back and requesting a replacement.

Thanks for your time!
Rukk

Alright!

I have updated the BIOS and that changed nothing at all, even though the update was fully successful. MSI Support asked me to check the pins on the socket and while I am not sure, it appears like there is actually a single bent pin in there. I have packaged it and send the MB off. I will update afterwards with the result of the new MB, especially whether it actually was a faulty MB or the problem lies elsewhere!