Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmagnum

Honorable
May 14, 2012
I have to ask: Do these aluminum clip-on heat spreaders help with lowering the temperature or they just like huge spoilers on Honda Civics (I look fast)?

COMONGUISE

Reputable
Jan 29, 2015
I have to ask - When will Tom's show a comparison with DDR3? I know its on a different chipset, but we would really like to know.

SuperVeloce

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
@tom10167: Well yeah, 1600 ram is enough for 99% home usage scenarios, no matter how much faster a DDR4 can be. But now you can already get 2666 cl15 ram (latency something like ddr3 1600mhz cl7, cl8), and if that's at 1,2V, even better. First ddr3 ram sticks for first amd ddr3 chipsets and core2 intels were terrible and with high voltage for faster models (I even saw 1,7V+). So in a way this time around latency drops faster and it's not even available yet in mainstream platforms...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Different processors make an inaccurate comparison, but you can compare two articles if you like. In fact we used the same benchmarks so that you could.

On the other hand, comparing two articles to prove that DDR4 currently performs slightly worse than DDR3 is a futile task. Anyone who buys LGA 2011-v3 does so for its added PCIe lane OR added CPU cores. They have no choice other than DDR4.

Right, go ahead and pair DDR3 with your Core i7-5930k. Tell us how it goes. Thanks.

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
everything on my machine is blitzing as it should be but just cause I know this exists I want it.

I have to ask: Do these aluminum clip-on heat spreaders help with lowering the temperature or they just like huge spoilers on Honda Civics (I look fast)?
To say that it did not help at all would be a lie... but it is mostly for looks.

I have to ask - When will Tom's show a comparison with DDR3? I know its on a different chipset, but we would really like to know.
When Skylake comes out we should see the first chips that can support DDR3 and DDR4 so we can see some true head-to-head comparisons. I suspect that DDR4 is (at least at the moment) no better than DDR3 in performance and only has an advantage in a performance per watt perspective. But like Crashman said: The first DDR3 modules (and controllers) were horrible and no better than DDR2 at the time. At least DDR4 is improving faster, and dropping in price sooner, than DDR3 did.

G

DDR4 is a bad joke right now. Kits are expensive, slow and low capacity. Where are the 16GB sticks? Timings of 15-15-15-35-2T?

cd000

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
At what point does latency overrule frequency? I'm looking at my Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600 Cas 9 kit, and then looking at the CPUz screenshot showing CAS 15 @ 1066 (2133, yes?) and wonder if my kit might not be faster.

Secondly, out of curiosity, would it be possible to adjust the timings down to typical Cas 9 settings, and see how fast you could get the DDR4 to go?

At what point does overclocking lose any real value? I think this is a prime example of it. You are overclocking this stuff for a increase in microseconds (and nanoseconds... really?) in benchmarks. Who cares? Too much effort for no gain IMO.

Unless it was the point of the article to demonstrate there is so little difference in DDR4 speed vs performance gain that you might as well go for the cheapest possible.

Drejeck

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Just look at the bandwidth. It doesn't represent real world performance gain though. Ram performance always depend on the CPU controller.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

You know the math really isn't that hard. DDR3-1066 CAS 5 has the same latency TIME as DDR3-2133 CAS 10. Just divide and multiply...or remember that cycle time is the inverse of frequency (easier to divide and multiply) :)

DDR3-1600 CAS 9 was our previous "standard". That would be the same latency as DDR3-2133 CAS 12. Not too tough right? That means we need JEDEC to move forward on a DDR4-2133 CAS 12 standard as well.

But they probably won't. JEDEC approved DDR3-1600 CAS 9 a couple years after DDR3-1600 CAS 11. Immediately following that, a couple companies started making memory that defaulted to DDR3-1600 CAS 9. And then, those companies stopped using the newer standard a reverted to the old.

Now we have DDR4-2133 CAS 15 and, having learned from the DDR3-1600 CAS 9 fiasco, they'll probably never update it to lower latency. Performance seekers will be stuck with XMP forever.

Sabishii Hito

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I'm not surprised the reviewer hasn't been able to find anything to outclass the G.Skill Ripjaws 3000C15 sticks, early batches of those could overclock like nobody's business. The newer batches, not so much.

Sabishii Hito

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
I do find it odd that most of the recent reviews of this kit actually have been of older batches (2014 earlier than week 40 as evidenced by the first four digits of the serials) and are Ver5.29 (Hynix) while most of the stuff out in the wild now is 1440 or newer and Ver4.23 (Samsung) and is much weaker at running tight timings. Corsair may be cherry picking the kits it sends out for review.

Xythras

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2014
I would like Tom to TAKE OFF those aluminum clip-on heat spreaders and see whether is Kingston or Samsung written underneath. My money is on Kingston.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
To be fair, I quit doing the easy ones after opening some of the harder ones caused chips to be ripped-off the PCB :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think he meant Micron, but shhhh no angry people today OK?

Cespenar

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
Niva,
DDR3 1600 cas 9 and phenom 2 x4 is still a great way to go. Todays games seem to run okay. Why upgrade for small return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS