Review Corsair Virtuoso RGB Wireless XT Review: Expensive Excellence

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I have the first gen version the Corsair Virtuoso RGB SE, and while I love it there were definitely some drawbacks. Namely, the cushioning on the headset was terrible after a few hours on my ears. Constantly were sore from wearing them, I had to call Corsair for them to ship an extra ring piece and buy a pair of leather ear cushions from a third party and install them as a replacement.

With that being said it is a terrific headset otherwise besides very minor gripes. The wireless range wasn't as good as my Logitech G930's I came from. Battery life is great, usually I get a full 12-20 hours of use depending. This is of course without the light turned on the logo, otherwise the battery life goes down a good amount. Build quality is one of the best headsets I've ever come across. Sound out of the box is very flat, you definitely will have to go in the iCue software to tweak (I do not like the out of box sound geared toward gaming). The detachable mic is both something I really like and dislike. I almost feel like I still want a dedicated mic that folds up and down while gaming, vs pulling it off after a session because I hate it being in front of my face.

Appears like the new headset improved on most of my qualms with the first edition of the headset. With the price though I will not be transitioning anytime soon. Maybe in the future I'll keep Corsair in mind, but will be first test driving for a full day or two before I settle on the comfort.

Do these do anything better than Sony's WH-1000XM4 headsets that sell for ball park the same price I think? These don't even have noise cancelling - a feature that is so good that you will never go back once you've experienced it.

Blacksad999

Reputable
Jun 28, 2020
You can pretty easily change the earcups on them. There's compatible ones on Amazon, or you can find any 100mm cups you like and do it the DIY way.

all ears

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The frequency response specs don't make sense. 20,000 - 40,000 Hz? Perhaps you mean 20 - 40,000 Hz. That would still be a little crazy, there's likely no program material that would extend out to 40,000 Hz, unless you're talking about some extreme audiophile custom recording...?

JayGau

Honorable
Dec 20, 2016
A couple of months ago I decided to upgrade my headphone. My 60$ Cowin were doing fine but I wanted something better with surround sound, if possible. So I looked on amazon for gaming headset and for most of them there were plenty of bad reviews saying that the sound was terrible. Corsair, Razer, SteelSeries, Roccat, all the same: bad sound quality. So I picked the one that had the best reviews with the less "bad sound quality" comments, the HyperX Cloud Flight S. Even specialized website reviews were saying that those have excellent sound quality. Never been so disappointed. The sound was terrible, way worse than my 60$ Cowin and when the 7.1 was activated it was so bad that I could not even sustain it for more than 10 seconds. If those were the ones with the best sound quality reviews I could not even imagine the other ones. So I decided to eliminate all the "gaming" options and I looked for companies that know how to make headphones. I finally chose the Sennheiser RS 175 RF and cannot be happier. The sound quality is just amazing, the surround works great and the latency is low enough that I can't notice any delay in my games and I play COD so this is important for me.

I don't have a high statistic since I only tried one and I rely mostly on this single experience combined with people's comments about the other brands but my feeling is that if a good sound quality is important for you then avoid "gaming" brands at all cost and go with real headphone makers.

Reactions: Phaaze88
May 16, 2021
The Virtuoso XT was so comfortable on my head that I went days convinced that Corsair's headset was lighter than the Logitech G Pro X Lightspeed . But at 0.8 pounds (382g), the XT is actually 64.5 grams heavier than the Logitech headset (1 pound / 446.5g). Still, the Logitech cans definitely feel heavier on my head.

You thought the XT were lighter because they are....

MrDragonfyr

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2013
Do these do anything better than Sony's WH-1000XM4 headsets that sell for ball park the same price I think? These don't even have noise cancelling - a feature that is so good that you will never go back once you've experienced it.

I have the new Virtuoso RGB and I use the Sony MX3's for audio. The Corsair headset is nice for gaming and some audio is ok on it, but mainly down to comfort reasons, I'll be sticking to the Sony's, as well as for audio / video production. And yes they do work with a pc (despite what I've read on the net), just set them as your default device in sound properties.