Question Corsair Virtuoso Wireless SE Headset has poor sound quality ?

Vicissitude

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
I got a Corsair Virtuoso Headset based on recommendations from toms because i wanted a wireless headset for my pc. This is coming from a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones with a fiio olympus 2 dac. My concern on purchase was flimsy headphones. Now that i have them I'm kind of disappointed. They are sturdy, most of the headset is made of aluminum, that said they are a little heavier, and the broad headband causes a pressure point on the top of my head that gets painful after awhile.

More importantly the sound seems poor. Music quality is okay, its kind of tinny like the way cheap earbuds sound, but the gaming spatial sound is hot garbage. Sounds are muddled/echoey and difficult to distinguish the direction (especially if its in front of or behind you) and how far away sounds are.
Anyone experienced similar results? Maybe there is some software that can fix this? I tried messing with the corsair software but its pretty lacking.
In the event that i do return this, does anyone have any better wireless recommendations? One of my minor complaints about my DT990/dac setup was the volume was pretty low. Maybe i need to get a beefier dac?

Last edited:

Vicissitude

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2012
Hey there,

Go into windows settings/Device Manager/Sound, Video and controllers, and disable anything that says Handsfree Telephony. Restart and try again. Does the sound come as expected?
My understanding is handsfree telephony is applicable to bluetooth connections only. This headset connects via a dongle at 2.4 ghz, its not using bluetooth to my knowledge. There is no handsfree telephony.

iCUE has a surround sound setting that was not turned on, by default its stereo. With 7.1 surround sound on the positional audio is much better, however, sounds are still muddled. For example I'm playing hunt showdown and things like my character trampling through grass or the headshot sound are incredibly loud/harsh while the sounds of far off gunfire or crows is muddled to where it is difficult to tell where or how far away they are. There are some equalizer settings in iCUE that supposedly are for "movies, fps gaming, bass boost" etc but they didnt seem to make an improvement, in fact the fps gaming setting was the worst imo. My dt990s with analog audio and presumably the surround sound done by the game software processing is crisp and far off sounds are not muddled by things close up like footsteps or fiddling with equipment, perhaps I'm just used to the dt990s. I wouldn't consider myself an audiophile but i definitely know the difference between a pair of in-ear buds or "gaming headset" and a nice pair of over ear headphones.

Additionally for music its hard to explain but noises are very harsh when they start and end, whereas sounds with the 990s sort of "ramp up" and are more smooth, especially things like snares. Its almost to the point where these headphones cause me to flinch because they can be harsh.
I think at this point I'm going to chalk it off as being spoiled/used to my old headphones.

Last edited:
DT990s are hard to beat! Also, they're open back and give you that spacious, open soundstage.

I use the Corsair and prefer the 'flat' EQ over the rest. I also use Dolby Atmos for headphones on some games that don't have the best audio engine. Some games sound great with DA engaged and 7.1 enabled in game menu. Others the 'stereo' setting sounds better. There's a little bit of work needed to get acceptable audio.

I don't use my Cosair for music as I have a few others to choose from.

Reactions: Vicissitude

TRENDING THREADS