Corsair Vs. G.skill

KMT

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Hey All..
Need some input, im expanding memory on a Rampage Formula m/board (currently 4Gb [2 x '2x1Gb' Corsair 800Mhz Pc6400 Kits]) mostly cause one of the 4 sticks burned out. Choices are G.Skill PC-8500 2x2Gb 1066Mhz CL5 or Corsair PC-6400DHX 800Mhz CL4, ive heard and read analysis about higher Mhz being better then lower Latency etc.. but i think its a brand (corsair) Vs. Mhz type question. Ill be buying 2 of whatever kit, ie 8Gbs total. So with that in mind...

Which would you buy?

Peas.

tbonesin2000

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2003
First off, I hope you're using a 64 bit os or you're wasting your money.
From what I know, higher Mhz will give you better performance than tighter timings, but you shouldn't go too lose on your timings just to get a higher clock...
I bought a set of Ballistix rated for 800 at 4-4-4-12 and have not had good luck with them. I've beet seriously looking at that same set of g.skill, especially considering the price these days. However, I'm pretty sure that even g.skill will tell you that 1066 memory will not clock that high reliably if you're running 4 sticks.

Long story short, if you really think you need 8 gigs of ram, I'd say go with a nice 800 Mhz set and don't be surprized when you have to do some tweaking to get your system stable at those tight timings.

KMT

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah haha i've 64Bit Vista Ultimate since it first went public... I got the G.Skill set and honestly it runs fast.. whole bunch of games went up in performance. Im happy, give it a go if you can get onto some of the same i rate.

And no, there was little to no chance of getting a higher Mhz stable, i did manage to tighten some timings up a bit, but in the interest of preserving the family gaming/media/storage computer, i thought i wouldnt muck around!

Kye.