Corsair VS series reliability, despite lack of Bronze certification?

Dwarf-Miner

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Hi all, after learning my lesson of why you don't buy cheap unbranded PSU's for a mining rig which will be left on 24/7 I am now on the hunt fora reliable PSU. My question to you is this, Is the following PSU from Corsair suitable?

http://www.corsair.com/en/power-supply-units/vs-series-power-supply-units/vs-seriestm-vs650-650-watt-power-supply.html

The power rating is sufficient (I have checked) but will it's efficiency be enough? Although it does not have an 80+ Bronze certification it is from Corsair who are renowned for their reliable products, but mostly it is very cheap.

Solution
Corsair is a good brand.
VS series are the worst power supplies they make.
They are not 80 plus rated, but they are close to 80% efficient (unlike some cheap and nasty supplies).

I wouldn't buy VS or CX series for anything you plan to have working hard all the time.
They would be OK for a budget gaming computer that spends most of its time off or at idle.

Corsair HX and AX series are very good.
Corsair TX series are generally good, but I have seen at least one review complaining of cheap capacitors being used in the V2 models (TX-650 V1 was manufactured by Seasonic, V2 is not)
Seasonic are even better, and no more expensive than the Corsair HX or AX for equivalent supplies.
Antec HCG series are good quality for the price and 80 plus...
All of the VS series bear no 80+ logo because they are only available as 240V units. In order to be tested for 80+ certification a PSU must work on 115V.

It does have a good 12V rail capacity, is CWT built, and still gets a 3 year warranty from Corsair which is about average for a lower end unit. I wouldn't expect it to be bad, but there is currently no proof it is great so we shall call it decent.

Also, just to be sure, you are not going to attempt to use that PSU in a system in North America are you? It requires a 220-240VAC power system to work.

Corsair is a good brand.
VS series are the worst power supplies they make.
They are not 80 plus rated, but they are close to 80% efficient (unlike some cheap and nasty supplies).

I wouldn't buy VS or CX series for anything you plan to have working hard all the time.
They would be OK for a budget gaming computer that spends most of its time off or at idle.

Corsair HX and AX series are very good.
Corsair TX series are generally good, but I have seen at least one review complaining of cheap capacitors being used in the V2 models (TX-650 V1 was manufactured by Seasonic, V2 is not)
Seasonic are even better, and no more expensive than the Corsair HX or AX for equivalent supplies.
Antec HCG series are good quality for the price and 80 plus Bronze rated.

It is worth seeing what power rating you actually need too.
It is better to buy a top quality supply with the right rating than a cheap supply with a higher rating.
What components are you running?

Solution

Deuce65

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
1. Buying a cheap crappy brand name PSU is the same as buying a cheap crappy no name PSU, just you have a nice name on it.
2. I don't know that Corsair is known for their reliable PSUs, considering Corsair doesn't actually make PSUs. What Corsair is known for is taking other PSUs, putting their name on it, and doubling the price. Now, some of their PSUs are quite good (if overpriced), but this is not one of them. I don't see the point of paying 70 dollars for a not so great PSU when you can get a good one for the same price.
3. I can't say if it is efficient enough for you, as you didn't mention your requirements. But I think it is safe to say it is less than 80% else they would have gotten it certified.

Dwarf-Miner

Honorable
Jan 12, 2014
Thanks all, I'm in the UK where we have 240v power outlets, and Seasonic PSU's are hard to find here. So what would be the best alternative? Thermaltake? Coolermaster?

Someone asked what I'm running, the CPU is a Celeron G350 (I believe it consumes 65w) the motherboard is a cheap gigabyte board with 5 pci-e lanes and the cards are HD 5850, HD 9650 and HD 7770 for the time being. According to eXtreme power calculator a 500w will be sufficient, provided it actually does deliver 500w

I guess you mean HD 6950, rather than HD 9650.

Celeron G350 = 60W
HD 5850 = 150W
HD 6950 = 200W
HD 7770 = 80W
Allow an extra 40W for other components.
Total = 530W

Most of this draw is from the +12V rail.
You should not exceed 80% of the rated available power, as above this efficiency drops and the power supply will likely fail over time.
This means you want a minimum +12V rating of 663W with the figure above or 625W with the value the you calculated.
A good quality 750W supply would be safe, you will probably get away with a good quality 650W supply.

You are also going to need 5 PCI-E power connectors.
I suspect you will have to make do with 4 of these connectors from the power supply and one from a molex to PCI-E adapter.

If looking at other models, choose from tier 1 or 2 of the following list:
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx
Tier 2b if you have to, but in a 24/7 system like this they may not last.

Again, you have it backwards, the TX and TX-C were CWT built, the TXV2 is Seasonic, and the TXM is CWT again. CWT has made the vast majority of Corsair's lineup with Seasonic making a few units in a couple of the series. Flextronics makes the high end models like the 1200AX, and the AXi series, and some more recent mid ranged units have been made by chicony.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

From the link you have given:
CMPSU-650TX Seasonic - V1 supply reviewed by silentpcreview
CMPSU-650TXV2 Seasonic