Corsair VS450 Enough For A Sapphire R9 290?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello everyone. Heading explains my question... This is my rig:

Intel Xeon E3-1245 v3
Hp Pavilion 500's stock Mobo
16 gigs of RAM
500GB hdd Seagate Barracuda
Sapphire R9 290 4GB 512 BITS
Corsair VS450.

NOTE: I am currently running a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050ti Windforce OC G1 which is running fine. No heat problem no nothing. :)

Really need help before getting a new GPU. ;)

Solution

A cx 430 is a better quality psu (it's still poor quality but less than the vs series) than your vs 450 BUT that is already cutting it close. Those people end up running into issues down the line when the psu has degraded or if they have a 970 that boosts too high.
The Delta Dell isn't a standard ATX PSU (the VS and CX are), so it wouldn't work.
Why only those PSUs to choose from, do you have them already? My pick would be the CX as it's better than the VS series, but still not the greatest model.....main problem is it's only 550w, and while it would most likely be fine, there's not a lot of headroom there.

Any site you can give us to let us know what is available. Usually the cx550 is on the cheaper end of the spectrum.
You really need a minimum of a 550w QUALITY psu. The vs series is not a quality lineup and if you try to run the 290 on your current psu it will :

1. trip everytime load is put on the gpu
2. break the psu after a bit
3. break the card
4. not boot
5. kill other parts of the pc when the psu dies

A cx 430 is a better quality psu (it's still poor quality but less than the vs series) than your vs 450 BUT that is already cutting it close. Those people end up running into issues down the line when the psu has degraded or if they have a 970 that boosts too high.

Solution
Is this a new cx 430? Because the new models are considered better than the older cx models. If it is a new unit, and you don't overclock the GTX 970, then it should be fine. Just be aware that you will be operating near the maximum load that the unit would be considered safe for, so don't do anything that would increase the load.

He is currently using a vs450 and using the cx430 as a reference to ask why it does work on those but wouldn't work on the vs450. The simple answer is the vs450 craps out when under too much stress.

Oh, I should've read through his earlier reply a bit more carefully, when he said the CX costs too much......so I think you're right about his questioning. Yeah, we have both told him his vs450 is no good.

bignastyid

Titan

There are not CX 430s with the updated design. The CXs with the updated design start at 450w. Going from a VS 450 to a CX 430 is more of a sideways move rather than an upgrade.