[SOLVED] Corsair VS450 leaking white

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RyanC4460

Reputable
Apr 6, 2020
Hi guy sorry I got a Corsair VS450 and ten turned it on and the light said worked mostly but the fan said wouldn’t spin and shortly after this white stuff was leaking inside the psu over the stuff inside and it smelt wierd and idk if it’s normal or what, but the pc didn’t post but that said probably because I had no gpu in at the time please can someone help

Solution
So, here's the thing. These are sensitive electronic components! So...

1.) Just because ''it fits'' DOES NOT mean that it will function properly;

2.) If it doesn't fit, DO NOT FORCE IT and DO NOT GET A BIGGER HAMMER!;

3.) Just because you can physically run a splitter (presumably that is what you are doing for the case fans), DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN, ELECTRICALLY! (I can physically plug a 6-outlet Power Bar into the wall socket, and then plug 6x 120V/1500W heaters into it...but is that a safe or good idea? NO!!)

4.) So, ONE FAN per motherboard header, if that is what you are using to power the ''chassis fans''; (BE ADVISED most of these headers appear to be rated for 12V/1A but...

ChevetteSCx

Reputable
Sep 5, 2019
So, here's the thing. These are sensitive electronic components! So...

1.) Just because ''it fits'' DOES NOT mean that it will function properly;

2.) If it doesn't fit, DO NOT FORCE IT and DO NOT GET A BIGGER HAMMER!;

3.) Just because you can physically run a splitter (presumably that is what you are doing for the case fans), DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN, ELECTRICALLY! (I can physically plug a 6-outlet Power Bar into the wall socket, and then plug 6x 120V/1500W heaters into it...but is that a safe or good idea? NO!!)

4.) So, ONE FAN per motherboard header, if that is what you are using to power the ''chassis fans''; (BE ADVISED most of these headers appear to be rated for 12V/1A but there is some debate as to whether that is PER HEADER, or COMBINED ACROSS ALL HEADERS. (best to err on the side of caution here, but since your fans aren't spinning...)

5.) If the case has some way of powering the 4x120mm chassis fans (Like a CM STORM TROOPER), then use those instead of the motherboard headers; (except for maybe ONE of the top fan(s), or the rear fan, so the Motherboard will be able to control/monitor it.)

6.) Preferably, run a Molex-to-3-pin multiple fan splitter to power the fans directly off the PSU - but the fans will run MAX RPM, all the time;

7.) If you want to control the fan speed/noise, get an aftermarket fan controller that is powered from the PSU;

8.) Do a little research...the ''white stuff was leaking inside the psu over the stuff inside'' that looks like the bottom of a birdbath in the fall? Is clearly seen in the pictures in a review of THIS EXACT PSU IN THIS VERY WEB SITE : https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-vs450-power-supply,6076.html

9.) Get some help from someone with experience and knowledge with PC design and assembly, BEFORE you wreck something, man!!;

Solution