[SOLVED] Corsair VS450 leaking white

Apr 6, 2020
Hi guy sorry I got a Corsair VS450 and ten turned it on and the light said worked mostly but the fan said wouldn’t spin and shortly after this white stuff was leaking inside the psu over the stuff inside and it smelt wierd and idk if it’s normal or what, but the pc didn’t post but that said probably because I had no gpu in at the time please can someone help

Solution
So, here's the thing. These are sensitive electronic components! So...

1.) Just because ''it fits'' DOES NOT mean that it will function properly;

2.) If it doesn't fit, DO NOT FORCE IT and DO NOT GET A BIGGER HAMMER!;

3.) Just because you can physically run a splitter (presumably that is what you are doing for the case fans), DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN, ELECTRICALLY! (I can physically plug a 6-outlet Power Bar into the wall socket, and then plug 6x 120V/1500W heaters into it...but is that a safe or good idea? NO!!)

4.) So, ONE FAN per motherboard header, if that is what you are using to power the ''chassis fans''; (BE ADVISED most of these headers appear to be rated for 12V/1A but...
Apr 6, 2020
hTzZ63E.jpg

Apr 6, 2020
The white globs are there to keep components in the PSU anchored and prevent them from touching each other. It's normal and found in many power supplies. If there's something actually dripping out of the PSU that's a different story.
AH I see but it’s made a wierd chemical smell are you sure, nothing went over the components, also the fans weren’t spinning, any ideas?

Apr 6, 2020
If it's new return it, don't risk damaging the system. It's a low end model to begin with. You should consider getting a better quality model if you have that option.
AH I see but that wouldn’t take a week because of the coronavirus, you sure I can’t use it and that’s im just over reacting?

AH I see but that wouldn’t take a week because of the coronavirus, you sure I can’t use it and that’s im just over reacting?
Many times a new electrical component will have a smell and it usually means nothing and disappears after a short time. I've never seen a new power supply have a leaking capacitor and I would suspect it even less since you have a Corsair model which have a good reputation. I think you should double-check all your connections and try it again. Make sure it's unplugged any time you work on it. If it still fails consider returning it.

Apr 6, 2020
Many times a new electrical component will have a smell and it usually means nothing and disappears after a short time. I've never seen a new power supply have a leaking capacitor and I would suspect it even less since you have a Corsair model which have a good reputation. I think you should double-check all your connections and try it again. Make sure it's unplugged any time you work on it. If it still fails consider returning it.
I SEe so i should give it one more shot, but what about the fans, I tried connecting it and it light up but didn’t move the fans

Apr 6, 2020
If the PSU is properly connected and it's working the fans should work unless you have a problem besides the power supply.
MY motherboard is a asrock B450M HDV It had 4 fans connectedness into one ornament two lead and which i put in the fan slot, I had a a 3 pin connector and my cable had 4, I put it in the best way and the lights worked but no fan

Apr 6, 2020
The white stuff is glue/silicone and is normal. It's used to prevent things from unplugging during shipping and also used to dampen vibrations and sounds from the caps/components used inside the PSU.

The fan should spin when PC is powered on.
I tried it and now most of the pc lights are on but the fans didn’t spin, the fans are connected to one level and which lead which i can take out and make it two if i want any ideas ideas? :)

Apr 6, 2020
Not sure what you're talking about. The PSU fan is built into the PSU with no way of controlling it. You turn on the PSU and the fan turns on with it.

I just looked back in the thread. If you're trying to power 4 fans from a single port, that's your problem. You're more than likely overloading the circuit. Try 2 fans max per port.
Ah can u help me out with it, I got one rear fan and three front fans, my motherboard is the As rock b450m hdv also when I put the psu on that Ian when the liquid horn hot and started to melt from being hard.

Last edited: