[SOLVED] Corsair VS450

lruego20

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Currently planning on upgrading my computer that I bought pre-built with a new chassis and fans, right now its using a crappy PSU and I'm wondering if my VS450 (from a more recent build) can handle it.

Ryzen 3 2200g
GIGABYTE A320M-S2H
HyperX Fury 8 GB 2400 mhz
WD Green 120 GB SSD
500 GB HDD

The fans I will be buying:
4x Tecware Orbis F1
(I know the motherboard does not support ARGB planning to use the Controller hub)

EDIT:
Also need recommendations on a PSU for my other build (where my VS450 will be coming from)

Ryzen 5 2600
MSI B450 Tomahawk
Sapphire RX 570 Pulse
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB RAM

Thinking of going 500W - 650W range, budget-friendly prices are welcomed, but willing to spend as PSUs are important.

Last edited:
Solution
Currently planning on upgrading my computer that I bought pre-built with a new chassis and fans, right now its using a crappy PSU and I'm wondering if my VS450 (from a more recent build) can handle it.

Ryzen 3 2200g
GIGABYTE A320M-S2H
WD Green 120 GB SSD
500 GB HDD

4x Tecware Orbis F1
(I know the motherboard does not support ARGB planning to use the Controller hub)

Yeah a VS 450 is fine with those parts as that won't draw very much power. You could even add a modest graphics card upgrade to that setup on that supply without a problem (say a GTX 1650 Super or RX 5500 card).

Ryzen 3 2200g
GIGABYTE A320M-S2H
WD Green 120 GB SSD
500 GB HDD

4x Tecware Orbis F1

Yeah a VS 450 is fine with those parts as that won't draw very much power. You could even add a modest graphics card upgrade to that setup on that supply without a problem (say a GTX 1650 Super or RX 5500 card).

Reactions: lruego20
Solution

lruego20

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
Nice since I'm also planning on getting a GPU for it in a couple of months, Thank you.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you're planning on a GPU in the future, I would NOT recommend the VS power supplies.

The black and gray label VS series units are much better than the older orange and black label VS models, but they are still units you really only want to use with basic use office or internet browsing machines, or in a pinch, maybe a machine with a lower TDP slot powered card. Also, they are not a modern design, having an older group regulated platform which you can find plenty of in depth information about if you do a search for "group regulated power supplies". These are better than any of the units down below in the wall of shame list, and better than the older VS and CX units, but don't assume you that you can simply pair a graphics card that has a 550w recommendation with a 550w VS unit and not have any problems, because in all probability, you will. These units are not meant for use with high demand gaming systems. In a PINCH, for VERY short term use, they will work, but they are not going to last under the rigors of daily gaming loads.

Reactions: lruego20

lruego20

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
You would be fine with either of those, realistically I think a VS 450 would work fine up to the GTX 1660 series cards or RX 5600 XT card from AMD.

If you wanted to get into the RTX cards or 5700 series you would need to get something stronger.

Yep, I'm pretty sure I'll just keep upgrading my other build while recycling those parts into my Ryzen 3, hoping for a recommendation on a PSU for that as well! Specs are edited into the main post.

lruego20

Commendable
Mar 11, 2018
If you're planning on a GPU in the future, I would NOT recommend the VS power supplies.

This was why I was skeptical and asked first, I built my first PC last year and really cheaped out on the PSU (which was dumb) but now I'm kind of just recycling parts for my older pre-built.