Corsair VS550 paired with a new G1 Gaming 1070

Aug 24, 2018
Hello
I recently bought a 1070 for my system as I read up that a 550W psu can handle a 1070 however whenever i try to play demanding games such as pubg the screens goes rainbow and then my pc restarts. It seems when the cards MHz increases to a certain point, my pc decides to die

I was wondering if this is due to the PSU or not, as ive never had a problem like this with my previous graphics card, being a 1050 ti

My specs for my pc are:

i5 7400
8GB of Crucial Ram 2666MHz
Asrock B250m Pro4
Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1070
Intel 600p 128Gb ssd
1TB Western Digital HDD
Corsair VS550W

Solution

You should get a better PSU, and probably not play games on your PC until you've got the PSU swapped out.
Corsair VS series power supplies are low quality units with high failure rates.
The only way to test it is by swapping it with a decent quality known working PSU.
Your total system power consumption in full load is not even that high (under 250W), but given the model of your power supply that would be the first candidate.
I'm assuming that you've updated your GPU drivers.

Yes, it's most likely the PSU, the VS series from Corsair can't handle such high loads. Just to be sure, you can go to Event Viewer and check what error is displayed corresponding to the time when your PC crashed(it'll be a critical error). If the Event ID is 41 and the issue is listed as Kernel-Power, your power supply is very likely to be the problem.

Aug 24, 2018

Ahh ok yep I just checked my event viewer and found Kernel Power event Id 41

You should get a better PSU, and probably not play games on your PC until you've got the PSU swapped out.

Solution
Aug 24, 2018

Yeh sounds like a good idea,
Thanks heaps for the help!